Notices

Thread: Tips for Winter Riding ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Tips for Winter Riding ... 
    ... composed by Kwik, aged 38 and three quarters

1. Just because the sun is out and it's relatively warm, remember the salty grimy ****e on the roads is S-L-I-P-P-E-R-Y; therefore, approach busy roundabouts and such like with caution. You're not in Springtime/Holiday mode

2. Do not assume your mate in front of you will go through an amber light.

3. Whilst trying to avoid said mate, remember to check the lane next to you as you drift over trying to avoid a lowside.

4. Control your adrenaline. The Cheshire Cat Smile from blasting a Nova Boi out the way soon slips off one's face when one's brakes don't work quite as well as they normally do.

5. When you slide through a red light, you still have a few inches spare before stopping on a busy roundabout itself.

6. If you love your bike, choose the "oh ****, I ain't gonna stop in time" option as opposed to the lowside one. Your mates will understand.

Guess who's riding her first winter in 4 years :-[

2. Re: Tips for Winter Riding ... 
    I must agree with you Kwik, it can get unexpectedly exciting on a sunny winter's day if you for one moment forget the road conditions!

It's pretty stormy out there tonight. As I walked back earlier this evening some poor soul pottered gently down the road on a custom wrestling with the wind and the rain - could only have been doing about 25 mph!

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

3. Re: Tips for Winter Riding ... 
    I was about earlier just going a few miles and it was pretty grim.
    Wasnt even a constant wind it was rather blustery, blew me everywhere. Also there was rain in the wind which made visibility poor through the visor- and with it up the rain blinded me. Glad to be inside.

4. Re: Tips for Winter Riding ... 
    Hardy soul - or were you forced into it? Blustery is bad 'cos it just pushes you all over the place with no warning! I wear specs so the rain is a problem with the visor down or up!

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

5. Re: Tips for Winter Riding ... 
    I was just bored so i went to a mates. I'll think twice next time!!

If he had a bike i cound persuade him to come to me- sadly not

6. Re: Tips for Winter Riding ... 
    Quote Originally Posted by BB
    I must agree with you Kwik, it can get unexpectedly exciting on a sunny winter's day if you for one moment forget the road conditions!
    Ain't that the truth. My tyres are near replacing too so bike put away for a while :-[
    It's pretty stormy out there tonight. As I walked back earlier this evening some poor soul pottered gently down the road on a custom wrestling with the wind and the rain - could only have been doing about 25 mph!

BB
    Wonder if he got caught out though? That wind and rain seemed to come on suddenly yesterday

7. Re: Tips for Winter Riding ... 
    He might well have been caught out. When I walked down town it was a bit blustery but that was all then an hour later it was head down into the wind and rain walking back!

BB

8. Re: Tips for Winter Riding ... 
    Well I decided to go out regardless today and sure enough got well wet! Thought I was going to get off with just a light shower or two, but it waited until I was a fair distance from home before it decided to settle into a steady downpour for about 30 miles... :'(

Lots of standing water too, not to mention the shall we say 'residue' left by farm vehicles just to make it a little more interesting. :

BB

9. Re: Tips for Winter Riding ... 
    You're worse than me, in the morning i went up to swindon to get waterproofs from ONFIRE, but all was ok as it was dry.
    They then were put to use as i went out for a bit in the afternoon to go see someone, it was enough for me and it didnt even rain on me very hard!!

10. Re: Tips for Winter Riding ... 
    Deffo worse than you, CB, I ignored the little bit of blue sky this morning and set off at lunchtime knowing it was possibly going to rain - with no waterproofs!

Hope the waterproofs you got from OF worked ok!

BB