Notices

Thread: New Battery

1. New Battery 
    I have just put a new battery on the hog, Big Nightmare. I had a choice of 2 with the same modle number, so I went for the dearer of the two (about £80) as it had more ampres per hour, more suitable for a big twin. To change the battery on a Hog is mega, ignition module cover off, seat off, band off, top cover off, side panel off, take battery out of tray, and the wires are too short to manouover to get a spanner to the terminals. After I rewired the immobilizer I found the holes in the battery terminals were off centre and didn't line up, so I had to reshape the the two leads on the bike to fit, this was very hard as the leads are thick and stiff to move. Eventually got it done after 2 and 1/2 hours.
    I wonder how long it would take for a battery that wasn't the correct one? ;D

Why could I not turn the immobilizer off?? I was using the one from the car :-[ ;D :-[

2. Re: New Battery 
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod
    Why could I not turn the immobilizer off?? I was using the one from the car :-[ ;D :-[
    Rod, you are a case!! :P

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

3. Re: New Battery 
    Rod; did you put on an Optimate lead onto the battery whilst everything was off? Well worth it if the bike is parked near an electric supply. With the 1000cc Aprilia engines, if the battery isn't fully charged it can cause the starter to recoil back, wrecking it and costing something like £600! Think some Ducati's are the same. V twins need a decently charged battery. Have you ever tried bump starting it? ;D

4. Re: New Battery 
    ONFIRE
    I have just put a new battery on the hog, Big Nightmare. I had a choice of 2 with the same modle number, so I went for the dearer of the two (about £80) as it had more ampres per hour, more suitable for a big twin. To change the battery on a Hog is mega, ignition module cover off, seat off, band off, top cover off, side panel off, take battery out of tray, and the wires are too short to manouover to get a spanner to the terminals. After I rewired the immobilizer I found the holes in the battery terminals were off centre and didn't line up, so I had to reshape the the two leads on the bike to fit, this was very hard as the leads are thick and stiff to move. Eventually got it done after 2 and 1/2 hours.
    I wonder how long it would take for a battery that wasn't the correct one? ;D

Should of had a Chat will HC think shes got a Hog 8-)

5. Re: New Battery 
    Platinum Member
    WHO???????? :P

6. Re: New Battery 
    Hi Guys, Thanks for comments, Yes BB I had to own up!! :-[
    Mike, I always have an Optimate lead connected, it was the only thing keeping the old battery going. I checked all six cells on the old battery, not a single good cell, one wouln't register three were dead and two were low

7. Re: New Battery 
    I put a new battery on the BM over Christmas. Had to unbolt the rear subframe to give enough space to do the job.

Some bike designers obviously don't give a toss about ease of maintenance. I guess it keeps the dealers in business as they are more than happy to charge for the labour involved in doing what should be simple jobs!

8. Re: New Battery 
    How right you are Goggomobil300, The Harley ones are known to be a poor design, and it's been unchanged for years.

9. Re: New Battery 
    How right you are Goggomobil300, The Harley ones are known to be a poor design, and it's been unchanged for years.
    Maybe it's something to do with them being air cooled twins? :