Notices

Thread: buying a bike from eBay

1. buying a bike from eBay 
    Hi WB, I've posted a few times trying to get help with my Yamaha xj900 trike bought from eBay a couple of months ago. A lot of you have been very helpful and my thanks to you all.

This is really just a word of warning if anyone is thinking of buying a bike / trike / quad from eBay to make 100% sure that all is well before parting with your hard earned cash. I got my trike from eBay because I'd wanted one for a while and couldn't afford 'proper' money to buy one from a dealer.

Not knowing much about bikes in general, and not having ridden anything for 35 years I was a bit green and bought my baby knowing she needed some serious work doing to get her as she should be. The trike had been in a head on collision and came with all the spares etc I needed to put it right. Not being a mechanic I took it to a pro (no names at the moment) to fix it up for me and it duly came back, looking good and running well (or so I thought)

It stopped running after a while, wouldn't start and it has taken 3 weeks and more money to get it going again.

To cut a long and painful story short my cheap trike has so far cost me more or less what it would had I bought it in pristine condition for more money and without all the hassle and I still have seals / braking system & wiring to sort out before it will ever pass its next MOT.

The moral of the story is be very careful when buying a bike from eBay or don't bother.

There is nothing wrong with the eBay service but as you can imagine there are a few cowboys out there using the site to get rid of their junk and it appears I have bought a very nice looking but expensive piece of kit.

Buyer Beware!!!!!

2. Re: buying a bike from eBay 
    Platinum Member
    I’m sorry to hear about your troubles. The same thing happened to me years ago with a bike I bought out of trade-it. It was continually in the garage and just cost me hundreds, in the end I sold it and cut my losses putting it down to experience.

3. Re: buying a bike from eBay 
    Sorry to hear of your troubles, got to say I have not purchased anything from ebay of high value, especially not unseen.

I think in our lifetime we all get stuck with vehicles like this, I bought a "mint" RS Turbo once...i spent as much on it as it cost :'(

Moral of the story is cheap is not always best, and I think you would agree with me

Hope you get it through the MOT and hopefully it causes you no futher issues.

4. Re: buying a bike from eBay 
    Hi flyingosca,

well, no real conciliation, but I'm also an eBay 'been had' person! Doh! Basically a friend sent the link and said it had only a few minutes to go, why not bid on it? By the pics it looks okay, and the right up looked sort of alright. I bought a bike from eBay...

Anyway, when I went to pick it up in Oxford I went "OH my god its a dog!"

Broken down on me about 4 times already in under 200 miles! I've tried to go to Mudeford twice but both times the dog has conked out on the way home. Both times in Ringwood....

oh dear...

eBay is a No No for bikes if you ask me. However, having said that, I know someone who has got two diamond bargain gems of a bikes (Dukati and a Suzuki) so he raves about the bargains. Just, I'd say, don't pay for the bike until you have seen it!!!

5. Re: buying a bike from eBay 
    I think regardless of if you get it from ebay or anywhere else you need to be ultra streetwise....check it out fully (Take someone with mechanical nonse if you don't have any) and don't hand over 1 penny till your 100% happy with what your buying.

Finally by law for private or business sales your allowed to take it back within 28 days in the same condition for a full refund if your not happy, if they refuse you can take legal action.

6. Re: buying a bike from eBay 
    I must admit I bought my bike from ebay last September and it has been running sweet as nut ever since. The only money I've spent was on tyres but that was my choice because there were different makes front and rear so not all ebay sellers are rogues

7. Re: buying a bike from eBay 
    Thanks for your input guys, I bought a car from eBay in Dec 05, but checked it out with a mech pal of mine before paying for it. I've done 35k in it since and had no trouble at all so yes, there are good guys and bad guys (and gals) out there. I think my 'need' for the trike over ruled my common sense. I will get it sorted though so hopefully I'll catch a few of you out on the highways and byeways of Wiltshire one of these days.

Ride safely.