Notices

Thread: Squared off tyres!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Squared off tyres! 
    Hi All

The rear tyre on my 600 bandit is starting to look a bit squared off due to alot of long distance pillion riding lately.

Not really sure when I should do something about it as I'm not experienced enough. I'm not a knee down kind of rider!

Any advice

cheers

All

ps rode the A37 from Yeovil to Rochester on the way to Weymouth and back, fab road, shame i had the girlfriend on the back! only kidding LOL.

2. Re: Squared off tyres! 
    So long as the tyre got the right pressure in it when cold AND the tread depth is at least 1mm nothing to worry about.

Might be worth getting dual compound tyres where the centre is a bit harder if your doing lots of long miles on it.

3. Re: Squared off tyres! 
    Agreed.

Although it might start to feel less smooth into corners, and over damaged or uneven road surfaces. Particularly look for grooves in the road, your tyres will jump into and out of them!

Nothing dangerous as long as you're expecting it

4. Re: Squared off tyres! 
    The thing is you dont realise how bad your tyres are until you replace them. They get worse bit by bit and you just get used to them. If you are happy the way it handles then stick with them until they have to be changed.

5. Re: Squared off tyres! 
    THANK YOU for your replies!

cheers

Mike

6. Re: Squared off tyres! 
    Mine were both really squared off and I recently replaced both back and front - the difference is great! It turns in to corners a lot smoother and it feels a lot nicer
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

7. Re: Squared off tyres! 
    Quote Originally Posted by gravelrash
    The thing is you dont realise how bad your tyres are until you replace them. They get worse bit by bit and you just get used to them. If you are happy the way it handles then stick with them until they have to be changed.
    That's very true my Prellei Diablo's squared off very quickly....for the first 500 miles on them they were ok but once the shine was off they were rapid till around 1000-1500 miles....after that they were twitchy up until the rear needed changing at 3000 miles.

Swapped for the BT014's now....not sure I'm going to see 3000 out the rear but the tyre wears alot more evenly thanks to the dual compound used in it so it's always a good ride, and the grip is on par with the diablo so it's all good

Apparently the new Avon's are meant to be good...anyone tried em?

8. Re: Squared off tyres! 
    It would be nice to change tyres as they square off but the cost prohibits this. I tend to hold onto them until they really need replacing.

9. Re: Squared off tyres! 
    Obivious but worth saying i spose... Avoid HARD acceleration

my new tyres are rapidly going square and its cuz i ride like a nob :

10. Re: Squared off tyres! 
    i started with the diablos on my gixxer 6 they squared way to quick at motorway driving but were great at the local roads,

then went to battleaxe 14's which were awesome once i got the confidence with them.
    have since sold the gixxer in search of challenge and progressed to the v twin tlr which surprisingly had the diablos on again,
    and yes about 2000 miles later, (tyre was not new when i got the bike) but yes square again £200 later still i have moved onto avon azaro's and being happy with the grip and confident i am back on the road.