Notices

Thread: What did you ride in your day?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: What did you ride in your day? 
    gosh.... im not as old as some but it got me thinking back..... i had an ER50 suzuki... then an mtx 200 R... then the RD LC`S range lol gosh the good old days bless them ;D

2. Re: What did you ride in your day? 
    Diamond Member
    Bought a Honda 250 Superdream in 1978 having never ridden before, one year later bought a Honda 550F and a year after that a CB900F which I still have and maybe will run again one day. I have had my Beemer since 1999 and can't find a good enough reason to change it.

3. Re: What did you ride in your day? 
    Platinum Member
    Quote;"Bought a Honda 250 Superdream in 1978 having never ridden before"

Rode a dream a few times.I thought it was better styled than the superdream.Problem was,all the 2strokers would waste you every which way! Still,it did have mag wheels and elctric start,something the strokers never had and you got over 50mpg.

4. Re: What did you ride in your day? 
    I thought the Dream was much better styled. My brother had a 400cc.
    I think they did the 400 as an automatic as well?

5. Re: What did you ride in your day? 
    Forgot to say my very fisrt solo ride was on a mate's old 500cc single Matchless across a field, lost it doing an unexpected wheelie, my mate was not too amused and did let me have another go...what fun when your'e young, so many years ago ;D

6. Re: What did you ride in your day? 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinb
    I think they did the 400 as an automatic as well?
    Yes they did altho I know nothing much about it.

A mate at the time had a "Wet-dream" He took a large hammer to the silencers to remove the baffles (?). It was meant to help the performance, but only helped the pedestrians know when he was 2 miles away so they could get out the way!!

7. Re: What did you ride in your day? 
    Platinum Member
    Anyone here own or ride a H1 or H2 kawasaki in the 70s' and were they as fast,mean and frighteningly scary as they said they were? I remember the strokers had an on/off powerband so can only imagine what the 500 and 750 2 strokers were like!

8. Re: What did you ride in your day? 
    Diamond Member
    Bikes in order of owning.
    1) Honda CM125
    2) Honda CB550 4
    3) Yammy Divvy 900
    4) Honda CBR600
    5) Honda CB500
    6) Honda VFR800

9. Re: What did you ride in your day? 
    My first bike was a Triumph Tiger Cub that I bought in 1974. I was a callow youth living in London at the time.

I paid £5 for it and it got me to work and back for a while. The brakes were completely shot and the head stock bearings were so knackered you could rock the forks back and forward. It was bloody lethal so I rode it very slowly. It was just cheap transport .

It got nicked one Sunday night. A few days later the thieving toe rag was riding it too fast and lost control on a nasty bend in Hounslow. He ploughed into the corner of a stone wall and dislocated his hip and broke his pelvis. He also broke his arm, a few ribs and his jaw. The Police told me that he was in a bad way and that he'd probably limp for the rest of his life. I often wonder if the thieving git is still limping around now.

I got the bike back and it was hardly damaged. Luckily the bloke's left leg took most of the impact. It had blood all down the left hand side of the seat. I cleaned it up and sold it for £4 to a bloke who wanted to rebuild it. It may be still around.

£4 was a lot of money in those days. You could buy 4 pints of Watneys Red Barrel, 20 Players No6, a fishcake and chips and still have change from a quid. Oh No!! I've started to sound like my dad.

I replaced it with a 105E Anglia for £5 that had been badly sprayed in bright orange but that's another story.
    When the sun beats down and I lie on the bench,
    I can always hear them talk.
    Me, I'm just a lawnmower - you can tell me by the way I walk.