How us old boys learned too ride and passed our tests

Had a year on the mopeds at 16 thru 1974/1975. We rode these little bikes like nut cases like they do today. Fell off a lot and saw a lot of mates fall off. The old hospital in swindon had a ward full of broken limb bikers - Doing this crazy apprenticeship taught you that falling off hurt mainly because you did it at slow speed.

I even took my test on the FS1E. Back then the tester stood beside the road and watched you pass.

I failed for not looking behind when I pulled away..... I still have the original test appointment card.

Well that taught me a lesson to take it serious.

Bought my RD250A new in late 1975 (old stock model - £450) and hit the roads on my 17th birthday.........

Took my test in April. Pretty sure that I took the mirrors off for the test too make sure that I looked behind. A pretty common thing too do then when you took your test.

The chap stood on the side of the road with a clip board as I rode past. The test centre was next door to the Chippenham fire station and as I came around on the first lap a mate from the station had come out and the tester and him were chattin.

Ten laps later and as I came past I heard a voice hurriedly say "I better go now and he shouted to me too please stop"

The rest of the test was one lap the other way and an emergency stop.

There was a quick flip thru the traffic signs book and I was passed...