Notices

Thread: Bike Fashion - 1979

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: Bike Fashion - 1979 
    Just to add a footnote...........

I still have the helmet and the yellow backed gloves.

Full face helmets were crude back then. The visors were held on with press stud poppers - pushing the visors and and making it stay up meant wedging the back edge against the helmet top which used to wear the top of the helmet. Note mine has a white strip of draft excluder - a common method to make it stay up without marking the helmet.

One particular helmet had a visor that would go right over the top so it rested behind your head.

2. Re: Bike Fashion - 1979 
    Quote Originally Posted by weefrenchie
    .....Oh......my.....God......

Why is the guy in the second picture holding a badminton racket?

...and I can only guess what the guy on the left has found that makes him pull that face!! (3rd picture)
    Imagine the look on his face if his hand was a foot further down south! ;D ;D ;D
    lo frenchie..can just see you posing in that gear lol

3. Re: Bike Fashion - 1979 
    Ahhhh. I found a picture of one.

This helmet is called an "Electro" and was the one to have. It was painted in a metal flake design.

Forget your "buy a new helmet every year" - this helmet came with a 2 year manufacturers guarantee.

The chap in the picture was sadly killed along with his wife in 1981 just outside Melksham - going a bit quick on a GS1000.

4. Re: Bike Fashion - 1979 
    Must admit to a 1979 Brown "patrol" style jacket-made to measure from John's leather shop in Broad St. Bath. Don't laugh too much though, it was 100% quality hide, expertly made with a hidden inner pocket and cost me £70. I gave it away because of weight gain, but it outlasted my younger brothers Mascot jacket [made of rubbish sheep nappa as a lot were, £59] is still in good order and could be worn now!!

5. Re: Bike Fashion - 1979 
    Quote Originally Posted by SupeRDel
    [quote author=Cat_Macd link=1222373222/0#6 date=1222424146]Oh My God!!!

I'm very worried by the idea in the first pic of the guy on the bike riding in flares and platform boots!!!
    I can assure you that many of us did in the 70's. Most riders were youngsters with not much money.

Here is a pic of me on my GS1000 in 1980 - Jeans and cowboy boots (fashion of the time) - they made excellent cheap bike boots. Dr.Martens were also popular and were standard wear for a majority of riders.

Most younsters wore open face helmets in the early 70 - full face helmets were an expensive novelty too most.

[/quote]

the cowboy boots are rather cool and jeans are what i wear mostly. It was the fact that his (in pic one) were quite wide flares. Wouldn't they get caught in stuff??

my dad had a helmet like that with poppers holding on the visor. he made me wear it when i went on the back when i was a kid.

6. Re: Bike Fashion - 1979 
    If im correct those top 3 pics are from BIKE magazine,i had one of the Bell full face helmets mid 70's when they came out think it was £50 got it from a bike shop on Brislington Hill, Bristol.

7. Re: Bike Fashion - 1979 
    Bell helmets were the ones to have back then.

8. Re: Bike Fashion - 1979 
    it was fibreglass but was still heavy used washing up liquid to stop visor misting up things never change lol

9. Re: Bike Fashion - 1979 
    Diamond Member
    I can remember all of those photo's - must have been in "bike" as the only other mag I bought then was Motorcycle Mechanics and they wouldn't have printed them lol. I had a Bell fullface back then but the first helmet I had was a Griffin Clubman in a lovely shade of orange. The visor had mini air vents at the bottom made of steel mesh in holes the size of tuppences. The chin piece stuck out a country mile! I must find the pic of me in leather jacket & jeans with my 1980 CB900FA that still resides in my garage lol.

10. Re: Bike Fashion - 1979 
    Not sure on the helmet I used. I got it off my brother.
    I did wear a blue Belstaff jacket, again off my brother.