Notices

Thread: corners

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: corners 
    Also don't worry about not gettign every corner right...everyone messes them up now and then! It will defintiely come in time, I can remember having just passed me test and hating corners due to having no confidence - now I look forward to the next one! Must admit that with me a lighter bike did wonders though - made an immediate difference to my riding which also boosted my confidence
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

2. Re: corners 
    Diamond Member
    I say get your butt on one of the saftey rides that get done by the cops throught the summer through Colin, there is a post on here of the dates and time and places, sign up.
    Since being on this course my cornering went from slowly slowly catch a monkey to going round without even thinking about it and being smooth and steady.

3. Re: corners 
    Platinum Member
    ...as I mentioned earlier "BikeSafe" courses really do teach you a lot and they're enjoyable at the same time.Book yourself in early to avoid disspointment though! Maybe we can start a "better rider online course" thread of sorts on here by our distinghished experienced riders on here? [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

4. Re: corners 
    ONFIRE
    Quote Originally Posted by schwee
    The key is learning to read the road, so you know exactly what the corner will do before you are there. Bikesafe will take you over these basic but fundamental skills.

Rising with others will help, and although you shouldn't ever ride according to the person in front, it helps you to gauge the severity of the corner, and will probably allow you to pick up the pace.

Relax on the bars before you set yourself up for the corner, and practice counter steering, which is an effective method of using light actions on the bars to achieve big results.

Start slow and work your way up. Pick a stretch of road that you like and that you can learn, and go over and over and over it [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    Took the words out of my mouth . I have to agree. Well said Shelley 8-)

5. Re: corners 
    Platinum Member
    wow what a help, thanks to everyone for ya input, im defo gana get out there a bit more and see what happens, will look into some courses as well i think, sounds like a great idea.
    r1iche would be up for coming out for a blast anytime really let me know when ya about, also got stu giving me a few pointers one day as well, so all help or all hands on deck as they say ;Dl, but yeah all great tips thanks

6. Re: corners 
    get on a track day or california superbike school they will teach you the drill brake turning in point apex exit and as colin edwards says then join the dots up and lots of practice

7. Re: corners 
    Platinum Member
    i have seen a dvd on the css and thay look really good

8. Re: corners 
    My advice would be too look early, think where you want to be, relax, enjoy the corner... oh and try and get you elbow on the road...lol [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

9. Re: corners 
    Quote Originally Posted by westcountryninja
    My advice would be too look early, think where you want to be, relax, enjoy the corner... oh and try and get you elbow on the road...lol [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    Look early, but don't turn too early, you'll run out of road and won't have any options to change your line should you need to
    What sort of condition are your tyres? Are the pressures correct? Has anyone looked at your suspension? Often a few minutes spent adjusting things to where they should be can make a world of difference.
    One of the most important things is to relax, and try counter-steering, it's dead simple (practice on a wide and empty road to start with), then the bike will work for you instead of you having to fight it..
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

10. Re: corners 
    Platinum Member
    counter-steering? hows that work