Notices

Thread: corners

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. corners 
    Platinum Member
    ok so can someone plz tell me or talk me through how to go round a corner without passing wind even befor i get to it , its really annoying that i can not confidently take a corner :-[ :'(

2. Re: corners 
    Diamond Member
    in my opinion there is no "set way" of your doing it, you must do it how you feel comftable just keep pratising mate u will get there, but take care! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

3. Re: corners 
    Platinum Member
    yeah ya probaly right mate, just need practise, need to get out there bit more, lighter bike would help too

4. Re: corners 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan9T9
    in my opinion there is no "set way" of your doing it, you must do it how you feel comftable just keep pratising mate u will get there, but take care! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    But there is a correct way! If your going in all wrong it could explain a lot!

Being smooth, confident and controlled are key elements as well as being in the right position. All this comes with practice and a few helpful tips - I have pm'd you [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

5. Re: corners 
    Without wanting to repeat what Stu has rightly said, it'll all come down to practice practice practice.

Of course, you'll need to appreciate and gauge the corner intensity, your speed, road position, 'looking through the corner' etc

Seeing that I'm relatively close to Salisbury during the week, if you have an afternoon spare anytime, let me know and if I can I'll gladly go for a spin with you to see what we can do to help you out.
    Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

6. Re: corners 
    Steve, from what I'm reading I'd say the best money you could spend would be on a day at the California Superbike School, where you'll get taken completely back to basics to learn how and why the bike does what it does, and how you can get it to do what you want it to - not cheap, but more than worth it for the understanding and confidence that you'll gain from it, probably the best £350-odd you'll ever spend on biking...
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

7. Re: corners 
    Nice to have a thread just for this

My 2pence worth..
    I try to come in from outside of corner, there you get most visibilty around corner, and can come back in a bit if conditions demand it.

And generaly I try to avoind center of road, as this is where you get most of the crap.

Usualy I follow the 'tyre tracks' let the cars clear the way.

But into corner nice n easy, keeping pawer neutral to on slightly.
    And gently increase on way out, don't want any tank slappers.

And I'd recomend Bike Safe.
    Plenty advice in morning, then a nice ride with Bill, who'll let you know what he thinks of your riding (in a constructive maner) and you try again.

Take a spin around Wales one weekend, they are gorgeous roads.
    MAny coeners, not too many cars. And if it turns out like last weekend, you can't ask for more, part from cup o T and a cake

8. Re: corners 
    Platinum Member
    I got back into bikes last year and spent a lot of evenings riding between large roundabouts near my home gradually building my confidence.I studied "counter steering" and looking into the corner. Bike safe also had some useful info but personal practice'and lots of it at your pace' with this newfound knowledge has helped me no end. Also on Rideouts I find myself riding quicker into corners inspired by the other riders although I'd say I'm probably still the slowest and most cautious rider there!lol I don't get flustered and just lay back and enjoy the ride,that's why I'm called 'Iceman'.

9. Re: corners 
    Platinum Member
    Practice and more practice, take a couple of advanced riding lessons.

10. Re: corners 
    The key is learning to read the road, so you know exactly what the corner will do before you are there. Bikesafe will take you over these basic but fundamental skills.

Rising with others will help, and although you shouldn't ever ride according to the person in front, it helps you to gauge the severity of the corner, and will probably allow you to pick up the pace.

Relax on the bars before you set yourself up for the corner, and practice counter steering, which is an effective method of using light actions on the bars to achieve big results.

Start slow and work your way up. Pick a stretch of road that you like and that you can learn, and go over and over and over it [smiley=thumbsup.gif]