Notices

Thread: My First Bike

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: My First Bike 
    Yeah, the Thundercats make good 1st bikes if you prefer something with fairings
    Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

2. Re: My First Bike 
    Platinum Member
    For all year riding a faired is the way to go to keep the winter elements off you. My experience with winter riding on the bandit 600, the carbs ice when riding in minus temperatures otherwise they are bullet proof and will easily clock 50K without major problems just change the oil a regular intervals.

A Kawazaki zx-6r is a good choice if you fancy a sportier riding position.

There are lots of good bikes to choose from at 600cc remember choose the one you want and don’t get talked into something you don’t want you will only regret it

Good luck and wrap up warm

3. Re: My First Bike 
    Platinum Member
    ..Can't go wrong with the "Hornet", a good starter mid range bike to gain experience. I've owned a CBR600F and now a ZX6R,both faster and more sport oriented than the Hornet.Depends what you're into and also insurance fees you're willing to fork out for! Good luck in your decision and safe riding!

4. Re: My First Bike 
    I've had a couple of Fazer 600's in the past for training on. Dead comfy, clock up the miles with ease, and if you know what you're doing on one, you can embarrass quite a few sports bike riders. Used to see 60 to the gallon too. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    The CBR600F is another top choice. My first brand new bike, owned 3 1/2 years, clocked 58000miles, never missed a beat. And you could do everything on it, i.e. training, touring with the Mrs, commuting, track days....
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

5. Re: My First Bike 
    Great choice, [smiley=thumbsup.gif] I love my Honda Hornet and have found it perfect for my first step up from a DR 125 GS, the upright position gives a good view up ahead and it corners like a dream, Hondas are known for their reliability and holding their value.

The best bit was accelerating away from my pal on his Aprillia 1000 Mille at traffic lights a couple of weeks ago, ha ha! Though he is twice my weight and probably sleeping on the job, but it really happened.

Best of luck whatever you go for. ;D

;D

6. Re: My First Bike 
    Gotta say that I started riding in 1974 on a moped and slowly worked my way up because age, insurance costs were the governing factor.

The thought of someone starting out on a 600cc bike frightens me to death - even if it is restricted.

No matter wot training you have there is NO substitute for miles of experiance - that includes falling off little bikes a few times too learn that it hurts.

7. Re: My First Bike 
    Platinum Member
    :

So I take it that you have considered that a modern bike has better handling, stopping power and all round improvement over bikes 10 years ago let alone 35

I'd say that I have more than ample experiance and I'd rather ride a modern bike than some old piece of crap from decades ago (they scare the crap out of me!) and likewise if I had someone wanting a 1st bike I'd put them on a modern 600 than a old moped or 125 as it would be safer IMHO. Its called growing with the times and advances in technology

The only thing I agree with is there is no substitute for experiance but advances in technology help increase the learning curve [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

8. Re: My First Bike 
    agree with every word you said stu [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

9. Re: My First Bike 
    hear hear Stu..

I did a 3 day direct access, passed my test end of Feb having never ridden a bike and went straight to a bandit 600..nothing wrong with that. The whole point was to do the test that gives me an unrestricted licence so I didn't have to get a old moped or tiny 125 and potter on that for 2 years. My bike only goes as fast as I want it to...and before you lot say anything...yes I know I bimble!!!! ;D

roxy [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

10. Re: My First Bike 
    I ride a FZS600 as my main bike, but i also have a 1982 Honda CM125 for messing about with and riding round town on when i dont want to get my big bike out, and i reckon that a learner is much better off on a smaller 125cc bike for at least a few months to get to grips with biking, its more nimble, much lighter and easier to handle, and there is plenty of power and speed to keep up with the flow of traffic, the only place it would suffer, is it you had to do any motorway work, you do need more than 125cc to ride safely on a motorway.

But my personal opinion is that a 600cc machine is too much for someone inexperienced to hop on after passing their test, and they would be much better off with a smaller, lighter, lower powered bike initially