Notices

Thread: My First Bike

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. My First Bike 
    Hi all,

Im new to the forum and to the world of bikes and am currently like a kid in a candy store. I've got my CBT booked for tomorrow and then i have a 3 week wait until i can start the DAS process.

Im looking to find bike in anticipation and have done the rounds of fowlers and george white's over the weekend which was brilliant fun.

A big issue for me is i will be commuting into Bath from Chippenham everyday on it (unless pouring with rain) and my girlfriend lives in Bristol who i shall be seeing on it. Currently i am looking at a Honda Hornet 600 (2000 plate) as this gives me cheap insurance and running costs but what what i would like is some input from other bikers!

What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

2. Re: My First Bike 
    Honda Hornet seems a sensible choice for what you need.

Also consider a Fazer600, SV650 or an early Z750 if you want to push things a bit.
    Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

3. Re: My First Bike 
    Fazer 600, SV650S, ER6F all have fairings. When it gets cold you'll wish you had! ;D

4. Re: My First Bike 
    sod that push the boat out an get yasel an RSV Millie lol.....sorry joking :P

5. Re: My First Bike 
    Quote Originally Posted by ninja_richie
    Honda Hornet seems a sensible choice for what you need.

Also consider a Fazer600, SV650 or an early Z750 if you want to push things a bit.

Wot he said^^^

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

6. Re: My First Bike 
    Active Member Thorkill_The_Tall's Avatar
    All very good bikes for not a lot of cash.
    Keep on top of the basic servicing and they will all give you faithful service.
    If you ride throughout the winter, try hosing out your brake calipers on a regular basis to get rid of any salt build up and it might be wise to change your fasterners to stainless. Copper grease everything that doesn't move [smiley=wink.gif]
    The big problem with the 'bargain basement' UJMs is their tendancy to disintergrate in British winters.

7. Re: My First Bike 
    Diamond Member
    Yes all the above are good bikes (apart from the Millie), and would keep you going for some time, unless you want to buy a bigger bike cos sid next door has just bought a 2.3 rocket....

8. Re: My First Bike 
    CBR600F would be good if you were after a slightly sportier one.
    I am bias as I have one however they are good for touring and are not as crampt as the CBR600RR and are much more comfy (plus like someone mentioned its faired so keeps the wind off too!)

Another plus was it didnt kill me on my insurance either and it was my first bike after passing my test.

9. Re: My First Bike 
    don't forget the trusty bandit
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

10. Re: My First Bike 
    What about a yzf600? They seem cheap to buy and insure. Plus look pretty sporty.

Btw I passed the CBT and had oodles of fun with the little 125.