Notices

Thread: Portsmouth to Bilbao - Anybody done it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Portsmouth to Bilbao - Anybody done it? 
    We're planning to travel Portsmouth to Bilbao July 2010 on our R1200RT and then travel east Spain and France staying in the mountains.
    Anybody done this?
    Any decent hints?
    Any special road laws for Bikes?

2. Re: Portsmouth to Bilbao - Anybody done it? 
    I done this trip ages ago! when you get to ferry port go straight to the front as bikes are usally first to go on prob be others there aswell,the 24hr crossing is boring, evening entertainment i thought was naff even could say was embarrassing.
    Bay of Biscay can be like a mill pond or VERY rough seas (luck really)
    Get pissed then you dont notice the ship rolling about and you then walk in straight line lol!
    I had no problems with the Spainish car drivers at all and was away for 4-5months,Flash your headlights when you go to overtake its the norm or was.
    youll need spare bulbs complete set and i think you now need a small red warning triangle.motorcycle ones are smaller than the big car ones they use.
    I also been along the North coast to the Picos de Europa mountains brilliant place went 3 times trail riding in the mountains.Unforgettable!!
    Spain is a brillant place to ride and the Spainish like there bikes which makes it a very biker friendly country,unlike this friggin UK. >
    You could check out the Spainish tourist web sites for more info on motorcycle regulations or even RAC/AA
    Oh and remember they drive on the right which if your not alert you can easily end up riding down the road on the left for a 100 metres before you remember or traffic coming the other way will remind you.
    Have a good trip!

3. Re: Portsmouth to Bilbao - Anybody done it? 
    brill. Thanks for that

4. Re: Portsmouth to Bilbao - Anybody done it? 
    Might be worth looking on www.advrider.com. They have loads of information on touring all over the world. They have a whole section devoted to Europe. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

5. Re: Portsmouth to Bilbao - Anybody done it? 
    Thanks for the link. Will look at it later. I notice you are in Wiltshire. I'm in Chippenham. Cheers

6. Re: Portsmouth to Bilbao - Anybody done it? 
    Make sure you have plenty of time when you go on there - I always get sucked in to reading something and then an hour has gone by....

Yup, sunny Trowbridge!

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

7. Re: Portsmouth to Bilbao - Anybody done it? 
    You wont find a better site than this all the info you will ever need takes ages to go through it all http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/

I live between Bath and Corsham if not on my bike

8. Re: Portsmouth to Bilbao - Anybody done it? 
    The standard of the vessel and service provided by P&O has deteriorated over the years. I have not looked at price comparisons but have used both and can state the Brittany Ferries Pompey to Santander service is preferable. The Brittany vessel is comparatively new, with good service and offers a shorter crossing time than P&O. My only minor gripe with them is the area utilised for parking motorcycles on the car deck; it is a an area you can not ride stright through requiring a little manoeuvring around to exit once docked.

9. Re: Portsmouth to Bilbao - Anybody done it? 
    Diamond Member
    That will be on P&O's Pride Of Bilbao, i go on that ferry every other month for a good drinking session as a foot passenger, they do mini cruises u can go on for 3 days and nights go to spain and back and just spend 3 days and 3 nights totaly wasted. Briliant fun, shall be going again begging of november ;D

10. Re: Portsmouth to Bilbao - Anybody done it?