Notices

Thread: Anyone heard the news?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Re: Anyone heard the news? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    To return to my original point about the judicial system over-reacting in this case, may I present two pieces of evidence to make the case?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lanc ... 739670.stm

Stolen car, no license or insurance, hit and run killed a 3 year old girl.......and gets 12 weeks in jail.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nort ... 303744.stm

130MPH, police chase, 9 bags of dope.... 80hours community service.

Don't speed - Kill people, less jail time.
    As stated time and time again...I don't think the judicial system over-reacted in the case of the biker doing 166.

The links you have posted up just show in those cases the judicial system were too soft...if you feel so strongly about those cases write to the Justice Secretary with your concerns and see if anything changes?

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    I like the fact you've had so many "crashes" that you can base you views on, but I expect in most if not all of them you were able to reduce your speed before you came off...chances are that's the only reason your "still alive"
    Oh, you like that, it pleases you does it? At least I'm talking about things from the perspective of experience, not sanctimony. And no, you're way off the mark about being able to reduce speed before crashing - were that possible, the crash would be avoided - not possible when racing I'm afraid, crashes tend not to give an awful lot of warning before they happen, even on the road. The reason that I'm still alive is down to primarily two factors factors;- doing it where it's safe (ie. racetracks, or open roads away from traffic, junctions, road furniture, people etc.), and wearing the proper gear.
    By the way, if you're going to be high and mighty, learn to puntuate properly; "your" is a possessive, "you're" is an abbreviation of "you are", which I believe is what you're trying to convey.
    I like it because like me you’re basing your view on years of experience...Your experiences shape your perception of things...However your views are purely based on the limited number of experiences you have had...that creates a bias for your views.

Like you say on racetracks there is less things for you to hit, as they are made as safe as possible...allowing the chance of a better outcome should you crash....On the road like you have also said, there is much more going on...which is exactly what I and everyone else has been saying hence 166 in a 60 isn't really doing your odd's any favours should you crash...Regardless of how clear you think the road is/looks at the time.

...and to me even when your off the bike sliding up the road that's still the crash taking place...laws of momentum dictate the induced force is reduced if the time the impact takes place is increased...i.e. you don't crash instantly into something hard...A point clearly outlined by Ducatista

Having the right gear helps, but it doesn't make you bulletproof/invincible...again it's just anonther way of increasing your chances of survival, like other things such as advanced riding, bike technology etc.

Finally, you will have to blame Bill Gates for the spelling/grammar, word checks all my posts before they come online, and pointed out to me that you spelt “puntuate” wrong it should be punctuate.

You’ve lost this argument already quit before you dig yourself any deeper.

2. Re: Anyone heard the news? 
    Platinum Member
    At least I'm talking about things from the perspective of experience, not sanctimony
    I very much hope it isn't necessary to have lots of crashes before being able to learn anything, cos I'm really trying very hard to do it the other way round

Stolen car, no license or insurance, hit and run killed a 3 year old girl.......and gets 12 weeks in jail.
    I think all of us would be furious with the sentencing if that was our little girl.
    I don't think pulling out 2 cases where sentencing appears light, proves that there was an over-reaction in this case.
    It certainly proves that there appears to be (on the face of it) a large degree of inconsistency in sentencing, but that does not prove the high sentence is wrong. Au contraire it would appear (without full knowledge of the cases) that the others are very light sentences.

I do think there are some issues with the legal system in this country.
    Like that fact that if I speed in my husbands car and the NIP get's lost in the post, the he will get 6 points for non-disclosure of the driver. This is totally wrong that innocent people can be convicted.
    I have more sympathy for innocent people than someone who knowingly took a risk, knowing the stakes.

I think there are lots of people more deserving of sympathy, like JD who has been let down by the law through no fault of his own.

So I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, but basically I think there are plenty of more deserving cases in the queue for sympathy.

3. Re: Anyone heard the news? 
    However your views are purely based on the limited number of experiences you have had...that creates a bias for your views.
    ... and your vastly superior number of experiences create a truly unbiased view do they?

Finally, you will have to blame Bill Gates for the spelling/grammar, word checks all my posts before they come online, and pointed out to me that you spelt “puntuate” wrong it should be punctuate.
    I left in a typo, fair cop, I don't rely on software to correct either my spelling or my grammar, I find that a decent grasp of the English language is sufficient.

I'm also a qualified Mechanical Engineer so I don't need you to patronise me by failing to explain the equation for kinetic energy. I'm fully conversant with the effects on the body of sudden decelerations, thank you

I've neither condoned nor praised the actions of the rider concerned, and I'm also aware that none of us is in full possession of all the facts concerning the case, just what the press choose to tell us. He shouldn't have done what he did, but I feel that compared with the vermin who commit real crimes in this country, he's been treated fairly harshly. I don't believe that I have lost the case, nobody's a winner and as Ducatista says, we'll have to agree to differ.
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

4. Re: Anyone heard the news? 
    I'm not going to go through my experiences as I don't think many could stomach them, plus minors view this site.

Your the one who indicated you had a vast first hand experience in crashes thus in effect implying you had some sort of expert knowledge on the subject in some kind of vain attempt to justify your defence of the biker doing 166.

All I can say is, you don't see anyone criticising my opinions in this topic do you.

As I said before, if you feel judgement is unjust, write to the Justice Secretary about it your voicing your concerns at the wrong people. :-X

5. Re: Anyone heard the news? 
    Platinum Member
    In my opinion to get 9 months in jail for doing that speed on his own bike is harsh as he will have to report it to insurance companies for 5 years and will have to tell future employers of this fact to.

However i only think its harsh because as Scotty posts in his other links about the weak jail terms these other people got when clearly they have no respect for the other road users or laws of this country and couldn't care less what happened to them.

But the biker in question was obviously aware he was speeding, and he had no idea what could have been around the next corner, or what problems may be in the road ahead of him. So yes a punishment was needed but maybe there were other ways he could have been punished.

Maybe if there were to be harsher longer jail terms for the people mentioned in the other links such as 3,4 or 5 years in jail the bikers punishment wouldn't seem as harsh.

Oh and Ducatista, oh don't think there is anything wrong with having the odd little off, as you learn from these and i think it helps you to improve your riding. (well it helped me and a few mates when we first started out ;D)