Notices

Thread: helmet painting??

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: helmet painting?? 
    scotty: yeah thats why im doing it my self so i dont feel gutted bout the money spent on the lid.

im not one for all the details in helmets since no one see's it up close anyway so gonna be a simple wavy sorta design with two colours.

i've never been all the gear no idea bloke since i came a reasonable 2nd in a championship last year in only my seccond race season
    not yet checked kbc's website yet but will do soon and where abouts can you get 2k laquer?

p.s the helmet in my pic is the one im spraying

2. Re: helmet painting?? 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ollie

i've never been all the gear no idea bloke since i came a reasonable 2nd in a championship last year in only my seccond race season
    I don't know what class, level or enteries but well done

But still stick by what I said - not needed at this stage! Get more tuition as you didn't win!

3. Re: helmet painting?? 
    haha not bad for 2nd year mind. it was classic 200cc 2stoke class in classic racing. but yeah im thinking of doing ron haslem or california race schools if i can but need funds for racing.

4. Re: helmet painting?? 
    Active Member Thorkill_The_Tall's Avatar
    You know what makes me chuckle when this subject comes around again?
    You always get someone saying you shouldn't put stickers on your helmet.
    The bloody things are covered with them when you buy them in the first place. ACU stickers, size stickers, BS stickers, manufacturers' graphics, the list is near endless.
    Or do they all use special, magic glue direct from the Pritt Stick fairy?

I don't think it is wise to paint a polycarb. helmet, (unless, of course, there have been significant, technological advances since the seventies) but today's modern composites should be perfectly ok.

Ask yourself another thing; Would race teams paint their riders' helmets if it compromised the performance?

I for one always take all the stickers off my helmets.
    Just free advertising for the cheeky sods.
    That goes for the poxy ACU gold sticker too.

5. Re: helmet painting?? 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorkill_The_Tall
    Why not just buy a plain helmet in the first place? : Decent helmets with graphics will have the stickers laquered over (apart from the ACU one) so not possible to take off (unless you mean the one on the visor......that should be removed before riding ).

poxy ACU sticker is required for racing and pointless removing as not exactly advertising is it :-/ But then again your lid so do what you want - hacksaw a big cris-cross in it to all I care

6. Re: helmet painting?? 
    Active Member Thorkill_The_Tall's Avatar
    For a start, I always buy plain helmets. I prefer to leave the gaudy ones to the power ranger types with the knee sliders. Whatever keeps them happy is quite ok with me.
    From what I remember, the question concerned non-standard painting, or possibly the use of self applied stickers, not factory produced graphics, so I fail to understand the relevence of this comment.

It depends how you define 'advertising'. I for one don't need some little sticker from a bunch of self appointed, self-righteous sporting body to convince me that my helmet is good enough for me to use on the road.
    Would you use slicks on the road? They've probably been approved by the ACU as well.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious. 'It's my helmet and I'll do what I want with it' more or less sums up my point.

7. Re: helmet painting?? 
    Platinum Member
    For a start, I always buy plain helmets. I prefer to leave the gaudy ones to the power ranger types with the knee sliders. Whatever keeps them happy is quite ok with me.
    From what I remember, the question concerned non-standard painting, or possibly the use of self applied stickers, not factory produced graphics, so I fail to understand the relevence of this comment.

It depends how you define 'advertising'. I for one don't need some little sticker from a bunch of self appointed, self-righteous sporting body to convince me that my helmet is good enough for me to use on the road.
    Would you use slicks on the road? They've probably been approved by the ACU as well.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious. 'It's my helmet and I'll do what I want with it' more or less sums up my point.
    Your the one that went on about removal of all stickers etc on your lid so off point from the painting - but being plural yet only 1 ACU gold stickered wondered what else you were removing and why you didn't just buy a plain one (of which you answered : )

and to answer your question no I wouldn't use slicks on the road as they're not road legal but for 'race use only' I would go further into reasons but off topic and prob over your head anyway as you seem to only just grasped the principle of the wheel rotating let alone getting technical

As for these self appointed, self-righteous sporting bodies you speak of have done a lot working alongside the manufacturers etc to imporove the safety of riders whether on the road or track. Just look at the improvements in kit over the years and I'm quite thankful to these self appointed, self-righteous sporting bodies

8. Re: helmet painting?? 
    ONFIRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    [quote author=Thorkill_The_Tall link=1260810024/0#13 date=1260907105]
    Why not just buy a plain helmet in the first place? : Decent helmets with graphics will have the stickers laquered over (apart from the ACU one) so not possible to take off (unless you mean the one on the visor......that should be removed before riding ).

poxy ACU sticker is required for racing and pointless removing as not exactly advertising is it :-/ But then again your lid so do what you want - hacksaw a big cris-cross in it to all I care [/quote]

Hey Power Ranger or should I say Gedi Isn't that Gold sticker thingy on the back of the Helmet (or one of the stickers) a legal requirement for the Road Something to do with the Helmet has passed a certain standard approval for road use :P

9. Re: helmet painting?? 
    the gold ACU sticker is to say the helmet has passed all requirments for saftey and is fit to use on a race track. its not legal to have the sticker on your helmet for the road but i make sure its got it to be safe.

10. Re: helmet painting?? 
    Or do they all use special, magic glue direct from the Pritt Stick fairy?
    No but the manufacturers will make certain that the glue used on the stickers they allow on their helmets doesnt affect the material.