Notices

Thread: Hi-vis Compulsory

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. Re: Hi-vis Compulsory 
    Platinum Member
    I have sent an email to Wiltshire Police to get their veiw point & if they are considering similar action.
    I will let you know in due course
    Great, let us know how you get on, even if you get no response, as I'll be seeing the chief inspector (head of road policing) in April.

2. Re: Hi-vis Compulsory 
    when hi-vis jackets first came out they were great for standing out on the road on the bike.

However now lorry driver wear then whilst driving, dog walkers use them, joe public walks in them, construction works wear them to work..............etc, etc so now motorcyclist do not stand out in the crowd as they once did !

My employer provide them for me at work but I chose not to wear them on the bike, my choice my risk !

3. Re: Hi-vis Compulsory 
    hi read most of your arguments about hi vis clothing, mcn as some one said are to make sales of their mag, which if you read them goes round in circles about bikers, police stopping bikers in wales , limit power output on bikes, new test for learners. hi vis jackets is now their topic!, I myself will wear one at night as car drivers dont see us on the road , and watch out for people at junction on their phones, yellow jackets wont help.

Safe riding

4. Re: Hi-vis Compulsory 
    Diamond Member
    Some of you may have read that I sent an email to Wiltshire Police below is the reply I got.

"Unfortunately, I don't read MCN so do not have knowledge of the article you refer to. I have not heard of any proposed change in legislation to make the wearing of 'Hi-Vis' compulsory. That's not to say that it is not on its way, but it does sound very unlikely to me. Due to the number of legislation changes there are in the UK each year, it is usual that Police Officers' are notified of changes which affect their role very near to the time of implementation. The 'Think Bike' campaign has been around for many years and it was my understanding that it was predominantly directed at other road users to pay more attention to motorcycles when exiting junctions and overtaking etc. I can see why some forces would give advice and hand out 'Hi-Vis' to motorcyclists' linked to the 'Think Bike' campaign as it centres on others seeing motorcyclists. I am not aware of any campaigns within Wiltshire in the near future looking at handing out 'Hi-Vis' clothing to motorcyclists."

That information provided above was from a Police Motorcyclist. Looks like Wilt****ePolice have no immediate plans to start stopping us & handing out Hi-Vis [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

5. Re: Hi-vis Compulsory 
    Diamond Member
    Thank god for that, I dont mind wearing a jkt at night when I want to but to be made wear one is a different matter

6. Re: Hi-vis Compulsory 
    Quote Originally Posted by GixxerStu
    Some of you may have read that I sent an email to Wiltshire Police below is the reply I got.

"Unfortunately, I don't read MCN so do not have knowledge of the article you refer to. I have not heard of any proposed change in legislation to make the wearing of 'Hi-Vis' compulsory. That's not to say that it is not on its way, but it does sound very unlikely to me. Due to the number of legislation changes there are in the UK each year, it is usual that Police Officers' are notified of changes which affect their role very near to the time of implementation. The 'Think Bike' campaign has been around for many years and it was my understanding that it was predominantly directed at other road users to pay more attention to motorcycles when exiting junctions and overtaking etc. I can see why some forces would give advice and hand out 'Hi-Vis' to motorcyclists' linked to the 'Think Bike' campaign as it centres on others seeing motorcyclists. I am not aware of any campaigns within Wiltshire in the near future looking at handing out 'Hi-Vis' clothing to motorcyclists."

That information provided above was from a Police Motorcyclist. Looks like Wilt****ePolice have no immediate plans to start stopping us & handing out Hi-Vis [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    Makes sense... another sensational flop from the comic....
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

7. Re: Hi-vis Compulsory 
    From my personal experience, Wiltshire bike coppers (as indeed the majority of coppers I have met over the years) are a good bunch of guys who enjoy riding the same as the rest of us. They want us to stay safe but also recognise that we are all individuals. 8-)

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”