Notices

Thread: Hi-vis Compulsory

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. Re: Hi-vis Compulsory 
    This is, as others have said, a typical MCN sensationalised peice of journalism, BUT, other countries have gone down the line of no armour/protective clothing = no claim, so we do need to be wary. Next up: compulsory airbag jackets as they have definately been proven to save lives*

Stu

* This may be utter bollocks, but you get my gist 8-)
    Anyone fancy a pint?

2. Re: Hi-vis Compulsory 
    Platinum Member
    Perhaps some of you should consider joining an organisation like MAG.
    I agree with FJ that they have done a lot of good in the past and campaign on a lot of issues.

Discussion boards are great, but chatting on here doesn't actually acheieve anything unless it motivates people to actually do something.

3. Re: Hi-vis Compulsory 
    Sorry if its a bit off topic as this is more to do with headlights in the daytime as opposed to hi viz, but may be the two are connected.
    Anyway fount this article on the web:

During WWII there was a camoflage scheme called Yehudi. (For you younguns, Yehudi is the little guy who turns on the light when you open the refrigerator door.)

Patrol bombers hunting subs in the North Atlantic could be seen a long way off. Yehudi hid the bombers in the background sky light.

It works like this: there was a row of lights along the leading edge of the wings and around the nose of the plane. The brightness of the lights was controlled by a rheostat to match the brightness of the sky. The bomber would blend into the background and could get a lot closer before being spotted.

So, you drive with your lights on all the time? Does that include when you are driving out of the sunset? A motorcycle can disappear completely under those circumstances.

:-?

4. Re: Hi-vis Compulsory 
    Platinum Member
    So, you drive with your lights on all the time?
    Thanks for the warning, but on new bikes there is no choice.
    There is no off switch for lights.

5. Re: Hi-vis Compulsory 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista
    So, you drive with your lights on all the time?
    Thanks for the warning, but on new bikes there is no choice.
    There is no off switch for lights.
    Sorry should have made it clearer. The whole last part of my previous posting after the bit that say I found this one the web was just just a cut and paste of someone elses comments, and not my views.

6. Re: Hi-vis Compulsory 
    What concerns me is that it appears to target a minority of road users with the justification being that it is “safer” for the motorcyclist and that the legislators appear to be addressing road safety. What it fails to address is the general appalling standard of driving in this country, which is the main cause of all road casualties, be they motorcyclists, pedestrians, cyclists, etc. To address this there is a requirement for Traffic Police to be back on the road and taking people to task for their inappropriate or dangerous driving/riding, mechanically unsound vehicles, etc and moving away from the reliance of machines that, by their very nature, can only see one problem (usually speeding) in a very localised area (I appreciate average speed cameras are slightly different but still only act as judge and jury on speeding). By making such statements it is the hope these will be viewed as being positive about road safety. They are targeting a group that are a small minority of road users who enjoy little sympathy (or understanding) by the majority of road users, who will without any thought, back such a campaign. There will be no appreciation that there is no real safety benefit in compulsion (I have no problem with individuals choosing to wear hi-viz clothing) and allow further road safety cameras to be installed thereby increasing payments into the public coffers that it is the real driver (no pun intended) at the same time doing nothing to halt or reverse the continued deterioration in driving behaviour.

7. Re: Hi-vis Compulsory 
    Diamond Member
    I have sent an email to Wiltshire Police to get their veiw point & if they are considering similar action.

I will let you know in due course

8. Re: Hi-vis Compulsory 
    What to do what to do.......I ride a bike to look cool. Hi-viz is un-cool but so is being buried head first into the side of a volvo.......argh!

(I don't really ride to look cool for that i do press ups in the street)

9. Re: Hi-vis Compulsory 
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    What to do what to do.......I ride a bike to look cool. Hi-viz is un-cool but so is being buried head first into the side of a volvo.......argh!

P.S. no disrespect to builders from my earlier comments, I just dont want to look like one on my bike.
    :-?

10. Re: Hi-vis Compulsory 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZZR600Dude
    [quote author=dan_geoghegan link=1265889669/30#37 date=1265990421]What to do what to do.......I ride a bike to look cool. Hi-viz is un-cool but so is being buried head first into the side of a volvo.......argh!

P.S. no disrespect to builders from my earlier comments, I just dont want to look like one on my bike.
    :-?[/quote]
    It's funny you should say that because they are also trying to make it compulsory to have 2" of arse cleavage showing above your leather jeans. (1 piece suits will have a little window on the lower back)