Notices

Thread: quiet helmets

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Re: quiet helmets 
    Platinum Member
    My last helmet was Caberg...very noisy.
    Now got a Shoei XR1000 ..alot quieter but get cold face all time from breeze, even when vents closed!
    Just bought the chin guard so hoping that its better now but not tried it yet.

Any other suggestions how to stop it...

2. Re: quiet helmets 
    XR1000 are great helmets, fairly quiet and weigh only 1300-1400 grams. Lots of helmets weight approx 1550 grams.

You are right about the helmet being fairing breezy...only notice in the winter though. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

3. Re: quiet helmets 
    What I need is a quiet flip front helmet, I wear glasses and a flip front is easier, also I work on an army camp so I can open the flip when I get to gate for the security guard

4. Re: quiet helmets 
    Hiya

The quiest helmet you can get on the market is the Schuberth and the C3 it a pretty good version, pricey but well worth it.

ALL other helmets will vary with different factors. The main being the type of bike you ride and its screen. Low windscreen direct the turbulence to the base of the lid so a good neck seal can change the noise level by about 8 Db. A higher windscreen will direct the turbulence to the top of the lid and visor. A good visor seal and dynamic lid with help.

Ultimately it is the combination of the bike and the lid. A quiet lid on one bike might not be quiet on another. Although most riding can generate up to 90 Db !!!!!! So ear plugs are a must.

5. Re: quiet helmets 
    p.s. Bob - Nolan is a pretty good flip face for glasses wearers as they have grooves for the arms.... think its the N103 but I would have to check in store.

6. Re: quiet helmets 
    I like the howl my bike makes!!! 8-) earplugs are so uncomfortable, don't you people like to hear the roar of your bike!! :-?
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'

7. Re: quiet helmets 
    I own a Caberg ( the open face type - no chin bit) and it was great on the BMW with it's big fairing but it is quite noisey on the new bike but I always ear plugs and a kneck scarf so it isn't all that bad and I like the fit. I used to own a Arai and I paid over 300 quid and that was quit and well fitting on any bike ( so I WILL be getting another one later on this year.

Good hunting [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

8. Re: quiet helmets 
    Schuberth for me too! I've had an FM, Shark, Arai, Suomy and there's not one that can match the quietness of the Schuberth. Yes, they are on the pricey side, but I'm prepared to pay the price so I can hear myself think and save my hearing.

9. Re: quiet helmets 
    Quite like my Shoei XR1000, not mega quiet but I'm happy without earplugs up to about 75mph. I'd agree with others that the biggest thing is that it fits your head properly, as any gaps around your head will increase the noise.

Shoei also do a "whisper kit" (basically a tighter curtain around the bottom of the lid), haven't tried it yet but plan to.

10. Re: quiet helmets 
    Quietness lid I've ever owned is my HJC FS-10 carbon.

But that's me, on my bikes, as rider.

Everyone on every bike is different. The Schuberth has the quietest dB rating, but that's a lab test- and in practice its about what works for you .

If you find earplugs uncomfortable there's a good chance you're wearing the wrong ones, or wearing them wrong.

Even with the quietest lid on the market, performing as in It's lab tests, you're still exposing your ears to damaging levels of noise. Hearing loss tends to be permanent, over time the gradual damage to your hearing can't be recovered- so ear plugs are a very good thing, and worth the time to find a pair that fits.

In my experience getting a quiet pillion lid is a nightmare as it depends on the bike, rider's lid, and the pillion lid. It's a lot cheaper to try and find a set of ear plugs than to keep trying different lids!