Notices

Thread: Paint protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Paint protection 
    Hi all,

Can anyone suggest a solution to the keys scratching the paintwork while in motion.

I've only had my bike a week and already there is a visible arc where the keys swing.

Hope this isn't a silly question... am I being too fussy?

Rach

2. Re: Paint protection 
    the only other thing on my bike key is a rubber/plastic yamaha keyring, and I've got a clipper on the rest of my keys to clip the bike key with. when i'm riding, the bike key goes in the bike (obviously) and the rest go safely in my pocket!

Chris

3. Re: Paint protection 
    Hi, I had a similar concern so cut a couple of lengths of PVC(Electrical) tapes and stuck in onto the paintwork that was being rubbed. I was able to use same black colour tape as paintwork so it does not notice [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

4. Re: Paint protection 
    You can get sheets of clear plastic from car spares shops.

I think Foliatech do them or, and you'll like this top tip especially from me..........

Mobile phone screen protectors, they're thick, clear and waterproof [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

5. Re: Paint protection 
    Or, go keyless like I have for £20 from ebay. It not only saves your paint work but it looks cool when you start your bike from the other end of the car park [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

6. Re: Paint protection 
    Platinum Member
    Or just whack a carbon yoke protector on it [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

7. Re: Paint protection 
    I Think carefully about what keys you need to carry. Bike key and maybe a lock key. The rest i keep in a key safe on the house wall. Or you could get a lanyard round your neck and keep them on that. Scratched yokes can really put buyers off when you come to sell because it's right in the line of sight.

8. Re: Paint protection 
    A tie wrap, that can be undone, will keep your keys still and thus preventing them from scratching your paint [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

There are loads of options out there but it's true about scratched yokes, it's put me off a few bikes although it's not a major factor for me during my bike hunting period

9. Re: Paint protection 
    Minimise you keys and I have used the clear 3M stick back plastic to protect yokes in the past.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

10. Re: Paint protection 
    Thanks everyone for all the really useful suggestions. Simple ideas that I didn't have the imagination for at 4:30 this motning.

Much appreciated.