Notices

Thread: Good news spreads fast...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: Good news spreads fast... 
    Quote Originally Posted by noisy_lightning
    ...the Daughter of the Man who invented the Cats Eye owns a number of patents which would be infringed upon if they embedded cameras in them...
    Unfortunately Percy Shaw's benevolent will can't be protecting us now as he died in 1976 (aged 86) and patents expire after 20 years.

2. Re: Good news spreads fast... 
    Quote Originally Posted by ninja_richie

Now with sat navs warning people of upcoming cameras most are rendered useless bar the odd sales rep who's too busy munching on his blt.

Surely if someone slows down for the camera, then the camera has done it's job???

I don't think there is one cure all for road safety. fixed cameras, mobile cameras, average speed cameras and good ole' coppers all have a part to play. Relying on one solution is in my opinion daft. Gatso's get speed down in one area, such as outside schools or on dangerous junctions. A cop with a gun will catch speeders but will it cut accidents in the long run??

I think, the removal of cameras is a finantial decision and has very little to do with road safety. The fixed cameras are all known about, mapped and programmed into every GPS in the land as stated above. So the revenue recieved has dropped, even though they still slow people down for a short distance. The fixed cameras cost money to run and maintain.

The man with the gun conversly can be anywhere, there is no need to prove the location chosen is a black spot and the same camera can change location multiple times per day. As detectors are now banned, there is no way of detecting the vans, so you have to rely on observation. By the time you see the van, the van has seen you. Booked! Coppers do not need to man the vans, trained voulenteers can now do this, so the cost is minimised.

Sorry, I do not believe this is a moment to cheer. Greed has prevailed in my opinion.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

3. Re: Good news spreads fast... 
    Diamond Member
    "speed camera ahead.....on the brakes.....slow down for the white lines....gone past them......go like hell again........"
    everybody does this!
    speed cameras DO make you slow down, agreed.....but ONLY for 12 yards.....!!!!!......
    theyre as much use as a tax disc holder in a Pikeys shogun!