Notices

Thread: I am still alive!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Re: I am still alive! 
    Paul

Glad to hear you are back home safe and well. I can only echo the senitments of what has already been posted before me about getting back on a bike.

The police officer that attended should have taken the details of the other vehicle and driver as it is a recordable accident. If you contact Devon and Cornwall police, they willl be able to give you the details of the officer that attended. If he is doing his job properly he should be contacting you. Any probs pm me and I'll do some chasing up for you.

Don't worry about getting your kit. Dabz is going to keep in his garage and I'll collect it when I go to collect mine. I've got you mobile and landline so will contact you to arrange drop off.

Get well soon buddy.

2. Re: I am still alive! 
    Diamond Member
    Glad to hear your alright paul, we was all thinking about you and had a drink in your honour [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I dident know it was anything to do with the other car untill we got to the campsite :-?

I think your beer is still on the van! as for getting back on a bike do it when you feel ready mate, there plenty more years of trips away for the weekend so dont worrie.

Speedy recovery mate, cya soon [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

3. Re: I am still alive! 
    Glad to hear you're ok mate, I was gutted to find out about the accident...we were sat miles away having gone the wrong way we all missed you this weekend..the beer is safe now in my garage speedy recovery mate!
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

4. Re: I am still alive! 
    Whatever you do, don't try to rush your recovery - you'll regret it in the long run.

Get well soon.

5. Re: I am still alive! 
    glad to hear you're ok and home safe again and it was only a dislocated hip!we all thought it was a broken pelvis from what we heard! in a way its probly good you went into a wall rather than the car if it was reversing otherwise you would be adding to the speed you were already going!
    your beer is definitly safe and your kit is still all dry and clean :P
    hope this hasnt knocked your confidence too much but like everyone already said, dont rush the recovery or you might make it worse!

6. Re: I am still alive! 
    Thanks Guys,

I have decided that I shall definiely be riding again as soon as I can.
    I have been told not to drive (or ride) for 6 weeks so shall try and recover in that time. I dont know what condition my bikes in, I just know that a garage from Crewkern (think that how you spell it) recovered the bike and its in a compound there. Insurance company will assess damage later this week. Did anyone see the bike after, I caught a glimpse of it as it was being wheeled past me and it looked worse for wear. I am hoping that the insurance company gives me a reasonable amount to get something similar, but I doubt it. I know your not supposed to brake on corners and the instructors would say apply the brakes in a steady fashion and release if you feel the wheels locking, well YEAH this all goes out the window when you have 1 second to decide what to do when you encounter a car reversing towards you as you round a corner. I was thinking if ABS may of helped (my bike doesnt have it). Does any one have ABS their bike and if so do you reckon it would have made any difference? Maybe if my bikes a write off I shall think about that. Anyone know of second hand bikes around £5000 with ABS. I know the new fire blades have ABS but probably too expensive and ZZR1400 have it too but think my ZZR600 was fast enough.

Oh the other thing I was going to going to mention;
    Looks like the bike went down on on my ankle but the boots protected it totally not a scratch on my ankle, brilliant boots. The only down side is the anti twist action of the boots meant that some thing had to give in my body and got a displaced hip (Ouch) but they did manage to pop it back in. I think a crushed foot would have been worse.

Decided that biking is the best think I in life and I will definately be riding agin with you guys as soon as I can

Paul

[smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

7. Re: I am still alive! 
    good to hear you havent been put off paul . the bike didnt look 'too' bad from the pictures levers on both sides broken, fairing damage and scratching to the exhaust seems about the extent of it. they will more than likely write it off but it will give you a chance to choose something new which is always good fun!

8. Re: I am still alive! 
    Did any actually see the crash?

I think I know what happened but as they say the mind can play tricks on you.

If any one did please PM me (dont post it on the public forum)

thanks

Paul

9. Re: I am still alive! 
    hey there buddy. glad your ok. hope you feel well enuff to hop on a bike soon.

Jus a little note regarding the abs you questioned. rest assure that had you of had abs then you would still be where you are now. seeing as you low sided the bike (going by an earlier statement) you were already past the point of no return on the lean angle in the slide, releasing the breaks would on done nothing and if it had (be it you or the abs when they came back on it could of resulted in a highside which is 99 times out of 100 worse! ABS aids in straight line breaking IF and thats IF you have accidently over cooked it on the breaks. they are a safty addition in that case and shouldnt be seen as a gizmo to help you leave breaking till later. hope that helps.

10. Re: I am still alive! 
    Quote Originally Posted by newnut
    hey there buddy. glad your ok. hope you feel well enuff to hop on a bike soon.

Jus a little note regarding the abs you questioned. rest assure that had you of had abs then you would still be where you are now. seeing as you low sided the bike (going by an earlier statement) you were already past the point of no return on the lean angle in the slide, releasing the breaks would on done nothing and if it had (be it you or the abs when they came back on it could of resulted in a highside which is 99 times out of 100 worse! ABS aids in straight line breaking IF and thats IF you have accidently over cooked it on the breaks. they are a safty addition in that case and shouldnt be seen as a gizmo to help you leave breaking till later. hope that helps.
    Thanks for the info. Incidentally I have later found out that I did infact high side the bike in spectacular fashion even though I initially though I low sided it. The bike damage kind of proved the fact with damage to both side of the bike.

Talking of ABS (and I do take your earlier point on board) does any one have any experience of the FireBlades 'combined' ABS, does it work or is it just a gimic?