Notices

Thread: Winter Leathers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Winter Leathers. 
    I guess this must have been asked before but I cannot find a match so hope you dont mind me asking here. I am looking for some thoughts on winter leathers. I prefer wearing leather to other material (prob a weeks worth of work for shrink ((can't spell psychologist)) so would be interested to know if anyone can recommend some cheapish two piece winter leathers ??

2. Re: Winter Leathers. 
    Platinum Member
    Cheap winter leathers? They don't exist, either stump up £1k or thereabouts, or go textile for £100+.

3. Re: Winter Leathers. 
    Winter leathers???? Wear a lot of jumpers..... :P

Id go textile. Salt etc will destroy the leather if your not careful + textile is waterproof and wind proof.

Recently got a new Spada jacket from Stevens for 70 notes. Recommended.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

4. Re: Winter Leathers. 
    Cheers fellas. This is not what I want to hear mind you! Are you really telling me that no one is making cheap good quality winter leathers for a couple of hundred quid when it costs £1 for a child to stitch together 150 pairs of a famous brand of trainers???

I think there is a missed sweatshop opportunity here!! In the mean time it is either material other than leathers or ...... blue peter it with some summer leathers... now... where is that sticky back plastic......MUM can i have that fairy bottle......

5. Re: Winter Leathers. 
    Platinum Member
    Personally i prefer leathers too, but if there is salt down, you'll need to clean them every few days. Benefit of textiles are you can bung them in the washing machine when dirty, and some of the HG kit is still sporty. I've got a sheltex blouson of theirs for £60 in the sale, and i wear it in all weathers and it's as warm as you need. Also leather ain't waterproof, if it pees down, you will be drying them for days, unless you have goretex bonded gear, and that is the £1k stuff.

6. Re: Winter Leathers. 
    Platinum Member
    I use the same leathers winter and summer and just use a textile oversuit when its really cold or wet. The oversuit adds warmth is waterproof and easy to clean but I still have the comfort of leather protection underneath.

7. Re: Winter Leathers. 
    Sean.C
    Just wear a textile jacket over the top of you leathers , That'll keep you warm and dry.

8. Re: Winter Leathers. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Roll_on
    I use the same leathers winter and summer and just use a textile oversuit when its really cold or wet. The oversuit adds warmth is waterproof and easy to clean but I still have the comfort of leather protection underneath.
    Works for me too!

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

9. Re: Winter Leathers. 
    I used to wear my leathers all year round, when I rode, and just wore a see-through over suit when it rained.

Last year, I wore textile because I wasn't used to the lovely English winter and they seemed alot better in the wet and the cold but I still wore the over suit for added warmth and waterproofing.

You're probably better off with a descent base layer, including bottoms, and you'll find that you cope with all conditions. You can get good base layers from Millets. I'd recommend Underarmour or Helly Hanson but there are some good cheaper makes out there [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

10. Re: Winter Leathers. 
    actually there are waterproof leathers around but expensive
    e.g.
    http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...hers/4396.html
    or
    http://www.carolenash.com/insidebike...f-leathers.htm