Notices

Thread: Women biker Accident(update)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. Re: Women biker Accident(update) 
    Platinum Member
    Mark,
    Having trained with you back in 2000 I can honestly say hand on heart you and the gang were GREAT !!!

Caroline, if memory serve's rode her bike for pleasure and some commuting and like other's have said knew the risks of being a motorcyclist :-/
    The police are still wanting any witnesses to come forward so the investigations are continueing

My thought's go to her family and friend's who must be devastated by this.

Rest in Peace :'(

2. Re: Women biker Accident(update) 
    RIP Caroline, i know Fin et all will miss you !

Makes me even more serious about hanging up my road boots to don the offroads instead..

3. Re: Women biker Accident(update) 
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm_man
    RIP Caroline, i know Fin et all will miss you !

Makes me even more serious about hanging up my road boots to don the offroads instead..
    It should'nt do George. If someone came to grief in their car, would you stop driving? I doubt. Sad though it is, it's the reason so many people point the finger at bikes as being dangerous. They are not. It's either down to circumstances, or down to the rider.

Some people fall off every other week. Some people ride for the whole of their life and never have an accident. Few accidents are down to 'bad luck'.

I can't tell you how bad it makes me feel when something like this happens. But it also makes me feel bad for the backlash against bikes that it provokes. I will never consider giving up biking because of someone else's misfortune. I say it again, you are in charge of your own destiny.
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

4. Re: Women biker Accident(update) 
    Deep down I know that, but its that momentarily lapse in concentration, or being goaded into riding that bit too fast that i couldnt 100% rule out - thats all it takes..

But i am keen on getting into the enduro lark, so may just sell the sduke to fund it - scarily enouhg a newish ktm exc goes for the same money my sduke would fetch - scary isnt it..

5. Re: Women biker Accident(update) 
    i just discovered that her funeral was friday just gone and my brother attended as he was friends with her!they did mountain biking together and her brother helps mine with his southern downhill website!
    sounds like she was happy on 2 wheels so was definitly doing something she loved when she passed
    i beleive she was from rode not westbury though-not that that changes anything

hope no-one is thinking of giving up the 2 wheels because of it!

6. Re: Women biker Accident(update) 
    Platinum Member
    RIP Caroline

Such sad news but when your number is up its best to go out doing what you love. My friend nearly had a heart attack when she heard the news as thought it was me.

Thanks Mark i did my Direct Access with you in 2005 and its an on going learning process.

7. Re: Women biker Accident(update) 
    A sad update on the inquest result from This is Wiltshire, 7:00am Friday 12th November 2010:
    A former British mountain biking champion from Westbury died after driving at an inappropriate speed, an inquest heard.

Caroline Mackinlay, of Hackney Way, Westbury, was driving on the A4361 in Winterbourne Monkton when she lost control of her motorbike on a bend and collided with a Vauxhall Astra on July 31. The 37-year-old, who lived with her brother Alistair, was driving with her sibling to watch superbikes at Silverstone.

The driver of the Vauxhall Astra, Tanya Milligan, 46, of Cricklade, told the inquest on Monday: “I remember seeing the bike on my side of the road and thinking that shouldn’t be there but thinking they would correct and move away. The bike was well into my side of the road – almost half. My airbag went off and I thought my car was on fire. I shot out of the car and saw she was behind me.”

Ian Singleton, deputy assistant Wiltshire and Swindon Coroner recorded a verdict of accidental death.