Notices

Thread: SERV Bloodrunners starting in Wiltshire

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: SERV Bloodrunners starting in Wiltshire 
    popped in to Riding In Action in swindon at the weekend. the guy quoted me 180 for a days assessment then he would sort me out for the test.

As I ride every day for work etc, its something I've always wanted to do but never have the cash to take it up.

Payment plans now thats something I need to look into

2. Re: SERV Bloodrunners starting in Wiltshire 
    Platinum Member
    The £180 is for a days training.
    It looks to me that you'll have to pay for the test on top.
    I don't know the cost with Diamond but the ROSPA test is £54 on top and IAM don't sell the test seperately so you would have to buy the £139 package. It looks like they have connections with the Diamond system, but bear in mind you'll have to pay for the test also.

It's more drawn out but have you considered doing it with IAM or ROSPA?
    The difference between them and Riding in Action is that they are voluntary so it's a bit cheaper, it'll be drawn out over a longer period (usually 6 months rather than one day) and you'll probably get a lot more coaching time albeit from volunteers and not professionals.

Perhaps you want to do the "fast track", but it's an option to consider.
    IAM is £139 or you can split it into two payments (2nd on taking your test for an admin fee of £5). Your volunteers expenses are £7 per time, which if you spend half a day with them doesn't really cover their petrol, so it's really a nomial contribution.
    ROSPA who are based in Swindon are £25 to join, £10 expenses per ride and £54 for the test.
    With both schemes you get as many rides as you need (average is 7 or 8) so it's a bit like having 4 days training instead of 1.
    They have a shortfall of tutors right now at ROSPA and a waiting list, but they are hoping to fix that on Sunday as they are training more tutors.

It is more drawn out over a longer period I would agree, so you have to compare more time and a longer period with volunteers versus the fast track which has the pros of being quicker but a possibly con of less coaching time overall.

I'm not trying to persuade you in any direction as there are definite benefits from using professionals but there is some information there for you to consider which may help you get started more quickly.

3. Re: SERV Bloodrunners starting in Wiltshire 
    ROSPA option seems like it would fit my costings.
    as in £10 for a ride is very good.
    Not that bothered as to who trains me as long as its not going to break the bank

Thank you for the info, Think I will look into ROSPA option [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

4. Re: SERV Bloodrunners starting in Wiltshire 
    Garvey, i'm currently doing the IAM, skills for life course and it has really appealed to me, i've noticed a huge difference in my riding, from when i started. I also ride daily like you and you can definatly pick up bad habbits very quickly, i would reccommend doing either IAM or ROSPA, although the £139 for the IAM course looks like alot, when you sign up you get a years membership and your test fees included in that, and for £7 a ride it's not expensive either.

5. Re: SERV Bloodrunners starting in Wiltshire 
    For anyone still interested in volunteering for SERV as a rider or controller or fundraiser, I am hoping to be at the Sally on Thurs night. I'll have the bike with me so you can all cast a eye over it and I'll try and answer any questions you may have regarding SERV. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

6. Re: SERV Bloodrunners starting in Wiltshire 
    Quote Originally Posted by freddieb
    For anyone still interested in volunteering for SERV as a rider or controller or fundraiser, I am hoping to be at the Sally on Thurs night. I'll have the bike with me so you can all cast a eye over it and I'll try and answer any questions you may have regarding SERV. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    I'll be with Fred too just in case he has to disappear as he is on call that night.

7. Re: SERV Bloodrunners starting in Wiltshire 
    Hi

I was a member of Freewheelers for about 4 years when I lived in Somerset, they covered from Taunton up to Bristol and at the time were using ex-police Pan's (even the ST1300), all marked up and with blue lights and sirens!

Being an advanced ticket holder with Freewheelers is a must, but if you do want to go that route I feel RoSpa is better, but unless you get a gold pass (something you will not get on a first attempt) then your insurance company will not give you a discount, but go IAM which is a simple pass or fail then your insurance cpmpany will give you a discount!

I did both, got a Silver on my first attempt from RoSpa, which I thought good seeing as at the time I had just changed bikes and was riding a 2 week old FJR1300.

In any event this is a worth while cause to become involved with.

ATB

Chris

8. Re: SERV Bloodrunners starting in Wiltshire 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJo
    Hi

.... but unless you get a gold pass (something you will not get on a first attempt)....

I just did [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] I is very 'appy [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

9. Re: SERV Bloodrunners starting in Wiltshire 
    CONGRATULATIONS ......... HAPPY.... so you should be [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

10. Re: SERV Bloodrunners starting in Wiltshire 
    Platinum Member
    but unless you get a gold pass (something you will not get on a first attempt)
    The Missus got gold on her first attemptl, though it's lapsed now and she needs to do the re-test.

Re: the blood bikes, do you know if there are there any openings in West Berkshire or North Hants?
    www.shinybikesyndrome.co.uk - Protection through innovation