Notices

Thread: ACU Gold Certificate

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: ACU Gold Certificate 
    Cheers Guys.

The hat in question is a top notch Shoei I bought four years ago. It was bought with the idea of doing track days, which I never did. I use it about half a dozen time a year for long journeys and it is stored in it's bag in a cool dark cupboard. The lining and polystyrene are still mint condition.

I'd rather wear that hat that a school hat which may not be a perfect fit.

My question was related to being able to use it. I was under the (mistaken) impression that to do track work I needed a ACU gold certified hat. I wondered if mine was still in ticket.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

2. Re: ACU Gold Certificate 
    If the RH school is anything like California Superbike School they'll scrutineer any of your own kit that you intend to wear, just to make sure that it's up to scratch (zips work, no holes in leathers, gloves or boots, helmet's not damaged and the chin strap does up ok etc.) With a four-year old hardly-used Shoei you have absolutely nothing to worry about - make sure that the visor is in good condition, and if you don't have one already it'd be worth getting yourself a dark visor too so you have the choice on the day 8-)

One question - if you have paid out a fair amount for a top-notch lid, why leave it in a cupboard? If you hit the deck it won't do you much good if it's still at home will it? :
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

3. Re: ACU Gold Certificate 
    Cheers Scotty.

The reason it is left in the cupboard is that I have an equally expensive Roof hat which I use every day. The Roof is a removeable chin bar hat, which I bought after getting sick of having to take my hat off in fuel stations. Is a pain in the arse in winter when I have all the layers of clothing on to reach the D rings.

The only issue with the Roof is that it is a noisey and quite heavy hat. The Shoei is a lot lighter and quieter and so gets used for long journeys.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"