Notices

Thread: Prejudice.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Prejudice. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed_Fly
    This thread is entitled PREJUDICE. Are any of the peoples examples here really prejudice, or are they calculated decisions based on their experiences, or images portrayed in our media? Perhaps that amounts to the same thing....
    It is the same thing. We all pre-judge people based on previous experiences, it's human nature. It doesn't make it any easier to take though.
    Everyone who posted has been made to feel crappy by the mis-informed actions of someone else. No-one has the right to do that. A little tact would have saved spoiling their day.

2. Re: Prejudice. 
    Diamond Member
    But I'm willing to bet everyone who posted, has their own prejudices and incorrect pre-conceptions as well. I know I do. I'm always hypocritical if I tell other people off for being judgemental, because deep down, I know I do it myself. The only reason I don't have the prejudices listed above, is because I know better. But I do have others. My motto is better safe than sorry, and I think that's all these people are doing.

3. Re: Prejudice. 
    I agree with SF. We don't hear any complaint about removing helmets and balaclava's when bikers go into a bank or post office so what's the difference?

A petrol forecourt is run on miniscule profit margins but is frequently targetted by little sh!ts on bikes / scooters who keep their helmets on so the CCTV can't get a look at them. Recording number plates on off-roaders or stolen bikes or putting the risk on the forecourt to find out which 'mate borrowed' the bike is not good enough for me.

If I was losing money and putting my livelihood at risk, I would take reasonable precautions against it, like asking people to show their faces before I give them access to the goods I am selling. Beyond being common sense, this is probably a recommendation from the police and a requirement from their insurers.

I do find it funny that tough hardened bikers can brave sub-zero temperatures, ride through gales and torrential rainfall ... but get in a strop because they are asked to remove their helmets before getting fuel! ;D

4. Re: Prejudice. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Chappers
    I do find it funny that tough hardened bikers can brave sub-zero temperatures, ride through gales and torrential rainfall ... but get in a strop because they are asked to remove their helmets before getting fuel! ;D
    It isn't funny when your freezing cold and or soaking wet and having to remove layers of soaked or freezing cloathing to remove a freezing or soaked hat for two minuites....
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

5. Re: Prejudice. 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    [quote author=Chappers link=1291754526/0#12 date=1291806836]
    It isn't funny when your freezing cold and or soaking wet and having to remove layers of soaked or freezing cloathing to remove a freezing or soaked hat for two minuites....
    [/quote]

You could always drive there in the warmth of the car and fill up a jerry can? Sorry, tat sounds like I'm being rude, but I'm just trying to be objective. There are always other options. We choose to ride, and we must accept what comes with it. one of those things is the fact that it's easy to ride off after filling up if you're safe in the knowledge your fact can't be seen on camera. As a biker, if it were my fuel station, I'd still ask people to remove their lids. I'd do it politely and respectfully, and if the rider in question felt so put out by that, I'd happily guide them to another fuel station. In the 11 years I've been riding, I've only actually been asked to remove my lid 4 times when fuelling. So it's not really that much of a hardship...

6. Re: Prejudice. 
    Instead of lid, insert Burka, they don't remove theirs, should we? I can play both sides :

Stu
    Anyone fancy a pint?

7. Re: Prejudice. 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StreetHippo
    Instead of lid, insert Burka, they don't remove theirs, should we? I can play both sides :

Stu
    You wear a helmet on religious grounds then?

8. Re: Prejudice. 
    Platinum Member
    Wouldn't it simply be easier simply to go to the pay@pump?
    They don't need you to take your helmet off as they've got your credit card in advance.

9. Re: Prejudice. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Chappers
    I tend to use 'Pay at the pump and they've got a sad on there too... FFS I'd have to have mugged someone for their keys and their purse to get away with that one!

Part of what peeves me with this is what a faff on I have putting my hair back up . When I stop and take my lid off after riding I'm happy enough or store a little brush under my pillion seat, I have shoulder length hair a long fringe too and its a real feck on to put it back up... So why should I uncover my head and face for 2 minutes to satisfy some spotty urchin dispensing fuel to add another 5 mins of faff onto my journey messing around with my barnet? And no I'm not going to cut it off, I'd look like a butch lezzer! >

Maybe I should start wearing a religious scarf/veil under my helmet see what reaction that would get :

(Ps Yes biking IS a religion to some !)

10. Re: Prejudice. 
    Come to Newbury, I have never been asked to take my helmet off. [smiley=happy.gif]