2. Re: Prejudice. 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    Crazy sitting on his bike filling up fool

3. Re: Prejudice. 
    shall we call in the MYTHBUSTERS to see if this would actually happen? ;D

4. Re: Prejudice. 
    Diamond Member
    I know of a couple of owners of K1100's where their bikes have caught fire while refueling. On the original K100's the drain pipe from the tank is incorporated into a mass of wiring and cabling that goes down the right hand side of the bike. Owners who didn't know what that pipe did tended to move it around a lot and it used to get pinched and twisted. So, BMW decided on the K1100's to fit an open reservoir underneath the tank which could take overfilled fuel so that it would evaporate over a period of time - ironically as a safety measure in case of a blocked or pinched overflow.

The problem was made dangerous when on US versions, BMW fitted a special filler neck to take the US hoses. Owners discovered that if this was removed they could fit another litre of fuel in the tank. It was called a flapperectomy. So they removed them not knowing that when doing so it became much easier to overfill the tank, leading to an overflow of fuel greater than the capacity of the reservoir. This fuel then overflowed directly onto the engine underneath and dripped straight onto the exhaust headers. In both of the cases documented on the forum I'm on, the bikes were totalled.

5. Re: Prejudice. 
    Platinum Member
    Thanks Beemerman.

shall we call in the MYTHBUSTERS to see if this would actually happen? Grin
    You're missing the point.
    It doesn't matter what jokes YOU make or what inherent risks that YOU want to take. It changes nothing.
    If you are on Sainsburys property then you have to abide by THEIR rules, which are there for a (lawful) reason whether you agree with them or not.

If you think their rules are stupid then you are free to shop somewhere else just as they are free not to serve you.

6. Re: Prejudice. 
    Diamond Member
    I always ensure that my bike is on the centre stand before I fill up with fuel. I know it may seem a stupid question, but as most bikes nowadays are supplied with just a side stand, How do keep the bike level without remaining in the saddle, when filling it up with fuel?

7. Re: Prejudice. 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by monday21
    I always ensure that my bike is on the centre stand before I fill up with fuel. I know it may seem a stupid question, but as most bikes nowadays are supplied with just a side stand, How do keep the bike level without remaining in the saddle, when filling it up with fuel?
    6'2" piece 'o' cake!

8. Re: Prejudice. 
    since being told about this happening at a sainsburys store i have not gone there as i only have a side stand and to fill the tank up to full i choose to sit on the bike to fill it up, as the other garages in our town do not require you to dismount from your bike [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

9. Re: Prejudice. 
    Opened up a can of worms here. It's all quite interesting to read. My original issue was being told to pre-pay before filling up. Wearing my helmet whilst paying is my way of saying 'Up yours, I'm not a criminal'. >
    Tina's issue is disgusting, and I'm surprised they can get away with it. But seeing so many people using disabled parking bays, it's not surprising that people try and pull a fast one, and try and get into attractions for nowt. People will never cease to amaze me (as to how low they can stoop).
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

10. Re: Prejudice. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Able
    Opened up a can of worms here. It's all quite interesting to read. My original issue was being told to pre-pay before filling up. Wearing my helmet whilst paying is my way of saying 'Up yours, I'm not a criminal'. >
    Tina's issue is disgusting, and I'm surprised they can get away with it. But seeing so many people using disabled parking bays, it's not surprising that people try and pull a fast one, and try and get into attractions for nowt. People will never cease to amaze me (as to how low they can stoop).

Try mugging a disabled man from behind his electric wheelchair!!............thats how low people can stoop....and in Trowbridge!!!!! > > >