Notices

Thread: Small warning for users of A4 Marlborough - Calne

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: Small warning for users of A4 Marlborough - Calne 
    The islands are part of "traffic calming measures" that may eventually encompass the whole A4 Kennet Longbarrow/Silbury Hill/Beckhampton/Avebury area.

The Beckhampton roundabout is a 'fast' roundabout, as most of us on bikes know, but there have been a number of minor car collisions there. When someone in a BMW lost it, and demolished a bus shelter, used by schoolchildren, the locals started a campaign for a speed limit.

These islands are the result.

2. Re: Small warning for users of A4 Marlborough - Calne 
    Ah. Yes, with you now, BB. Imma blame that one on about four litres of cider. :-[

As for the BMW and the shelter, aren't they missing the point somewhat and putting it on the wrong road?

3. Re: Small warning for users of A4 Marlborough - Calne 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vard66
    As for the BMW and the shelter, aren't they missing the point somewhat and putting it on the wrong road?
    When have road policies, councils and common sense ever got together in the same room? I was surprised to see the new island on the Marlborough side the other day. I agree, it's totally pointless and will cause far more problems than it cures.
    www.shinybikesyndrome.co.uk - Protection through innovation

4. Re: Small warning for users of A4 Marlborough - Calne 
    The one by the pub makes a little sense, but only because a friend of mine lives in Beckhampton, and crosses that road to get his fix of real ale ;D

5. Re: Small warning for users of A4 Marlborough - Calne 
    The one on the Marlborough side makes a bit of sense, aye. There's not all that much in the way of warning that there's a big roundabotut ahead coming from that way, so anything that makes people snap to and pay a bit more attention is good.

Also, it's far less likely to be a problem for someone overtaking, as I don't think I've ever seen anyone overtaking past the Wagon.