Notices

Thread: Any engineers here?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: Any engineers here? 
    Quote Originally Posted by ro
    [quote author=noisy_lightning link=1294400631/14#14 date=1294418095]Not so sure the twisting and pulling problem would be that big a problem. Most pillion seats have handles on them so they would be designed to resist a certain amount of pulling and twisting force at least.
    I think you'll find such handles are securely attached to the frame, not the seat. Perhaps I've misunderstood SF's plan, but I think he means to use a replacement pillion seat as the basis for a removable top-box.[/quote]

Not all of them, this is my R6 seat.

The way I understood his first post was that he wanted to get a second seat, strip it down to its frame, then mount the base for the topbox onto it so the normal seat could be swapped back and forth without attaching any frames to the actual bike?

2. Re: Any engineers here? 
    Quote Originally Posted by noisy_lightning
    [quote author=ro link=1294400631/18#18 date=1294421100][quote author=noisy_lightning link=1294400631/14#14 date=1294418095]Most pillion seats have handles on them so they would be designed to resist a certain amount of pulling and twisting force at least.
    I think you'll find such handles are securely attached to the frame, not the seat.[/quote]Not all of them, this is my R6 seat.
    [/quote]Oh, is that what that strap is for? I always thought it was for people to put leaflets under at bike meets :-? ;D

3. Re: Any engineers here? 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ro
    [quote author=noisy_lightning link=1294400631/14#14 date=1294418095]Not so sure the twisting and pulling problem would be that big a problem. Most pillion seats have handles on them so they would be designed to resist a certain amount of pulling and twisting force at least.
    I think you'll find such handles are securely attached to the frame, not the seat. Perhaps I've misunderstood SF's plan, but I think he means to use a replacement pillion seat as the basis for a removable top-box.

Here's someone doing exactly that and I have to say, the result it pretty impressive! Having seen it, despite my misgivings, I might be tempted to have a go myself.[/quote]

That is exactly what I want to do! so eventually I end up with a seat, cowl or luggage box that fits into the same space. Now, the question still remains (as I have no workshop as such!), os there anyone who could assist me in such a feat?

My initial theory was just bolt the box itself to the seat rather than have the plate, but actually bolting the plate to the seat gives potentially more options as you could secure panniers easily under the top box as well if required with a nice, flat, secure base to do so.

4. Re: Any engineers here? 
    Quote Originally Posted by roxychick
    Ro

I hate top boxes with a passion but I have to say what the guy in your link has done looks pretty good! great find! (and no I don't want one for the r6!) ;D ;D

roxy
    Methinks thou doest protest too much...
    Go on Roxy, admit it, you secretly like the idea and if Ro or SF turn up with one, you'll secretly covet it won't you? ;D ;D ;D

Here we are in the fresh morning sunshine at Aust Services, all our Kriegas lined up... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

5. Re: Any engineers here? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed_Fly
    Now, the question still remains (as I have no workshop as such!), os there anyone who could assist me in such a feat?
    I don't have a workshop either, but this looks like something that can be accomplished in a garage with a few basic tools. I'm happy to assist with both, or just moral support. I'll even take photos of the proceedings ;D

My initial theory was just bolt the box itself to the seat rather than have the plate, but actually bolting the plate to the seat gives potentially more options
    Yes, you need the base plate so you can take the top box with you without having to carry around the seat! And I presume it means you can swap around with different size boxes—with the same brand, are they all interchangable?

...you could secure panniers easily under the top box as well if required with a nice, flat, secure base to do so.
    That's an even better idea! For longer trips, I'd rather go with panniers than a top box. I'm not sure how my current soft panniers would work with it though—they have a velcro strap that normally goes under the seat and two that go over it. Wouldn't that get in the way of clipping on the top box? Perhaps there's a better way with panniers designed for the purpose from Givi (but if so, I bet it costs a fortune!).

6. Re: Any engineers here? 
    Platinum Member
    My brother and I did exactly this albeit on my lads scooter.
    We bought another grabrail and cheap topbox with mounting plate, bolted plate to grabrail and viola the box can now be put on and off when needed

Now i know its only a scoot but I think the fundamentals would be the same as my lads scooter is a Honda X8R S which was never designed with luggage in mind

I will get a pic to show you what I mean [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

7. Re: Any engineers here? 
    Platinum Member
    I have done a few of these for people - easy enough to do - basically we removed the cover - cut the rear seat out a bit put cover back on measured the holes for the bracket (bracket was sunk into the foam slightly) Holes drilled and LARGE washers placed inside and outside - the force can rip the smaller ones out. Just make sure the fixings will allow the seat to fix to the bike before drilling. Hey presto 1 seat with top box - sunken bracket means when box not in place don't really see it! But beware with the box fitted it is more difficult to get on the bike.

I'd offer to do it but you'd need to come to my place (insert smily thumbs ups but some git has nicked it) found it [smiley=thumbsup.gif] apologies no git nicked it just moved it lol

8. Re: Any engineers here? 
    Is a good idea SF and I'msure not too difficult. As said above, you'd need to be able to remove the top box, but that should make mounting easier.

Am happy to help, but eing in Trow, it is a bit of a distance....
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

9. Re: Any engineers here? 
    Buy a big rucksack, roll your clothes so they don't crease - take all the week's clothes to work on Monday and hang them up, ride tues, wed, thurs totally empty and cart them all home on a friday for washing!

If you put a top box on the rear seat - you are going to look silly trying to get on & off the bike - you wont be able to swing your leg over in the conventianal manner

10. Re: Any engineers here? 
    Platinum Member
    Or do as i do, leave a pair of jeans and a hoody in work to wear, until people start complaining of the smell, wait 3 months and swap out.