Notices

Thread: Any engineers here?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: Any engineers here? 
    You can then secure it with a pac-safe, essentially a wire cage that goes around the bag which is slash proof which will secure under the seat/any frame tube.

Stu
    Anyone fancy a pint?

2. Re: Any engineers here? 
    I have a Cargo tail pack, and can confirm that these are 100% waterproof.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

3. Re: Any engineers here? 
    I've thought of doing this too, but the problem with adapting a seat is that the mounting is designed to take weight pressing down, not the potentially large lifting and twisting forces the load in a top box would produce. I certainly wouldn't trust the rather pathetic tongue-and-post arrangement holding on the 250R's seat.

I use a tank bag ("B-square", £20 from Lidl), which easily holds my eee laptop and a change of clothes. I doubt that it's truly waterproof, but nothing has got damp in it yet.

4. Re: Any engineers here? 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ro
    I've thought of doing this too, but the problem with adapting a seat is that the mounting is designed to take weight pressing down, not the potentially large lifting and twisting forces the load in a top box would produce. I certainly wouldn't trust the rather pathetic tongue-and-post arrangement holding on the 250R's seat.
    That might be the case, but this is just specifically for the purposes above so it wouldn't be particularly heavy load. It doesn't need to be a big top box, but the fact it would be lockable, and locks to the bike would give it a degree of security, say if you wanted to pop a spare change of clothes/waterproofs in. I wouldn't use it for a load of shopping or anything...

5. Re: Any engineers here? 
    Not so sure the twisting and pulling problem would be that big a problem. Most pillion seats have handles on them so they would be designed to resist a certain amount of pulling and twisting force at least.

Depends what you were planning on strapping to the thing really.

6. Re: Any engineers here? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    The line-up of bikes at Aust Services last June for the Wales ride-out looked like a Kriega advert, six or more of us in a row, all with US20 tailpacks - they are excellent 8-)

GO KRIEGA GO!!! we all looked lovely with our matching luggage!! :-*

roxy

7. Re: Any engineers here? 
    Diamond Member
    Anyway, back to the orginal question - can anyone give any reason why it wouldn't work, or would like to help me make it work?

8. Re: Any engineers here? 
    i'm not an enigneer but i've just had a quick search on google and found this http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?p=2255273

Hope this helps

9. Re: Any engineers here? 
    Quote Originally Posted by noisy_lightning
    Not so sure the twisting and pulling problem would be that big a problem. Most pillion seats have handles on them so they would be designed to resist a certain amount of pulling and twisting force at least.
    I think you'll find such handles are securely attached to the frame, not the seat. Perhaps I've misunderstood SF's plan, but I think he means to use a replacement pillion seat as the basis for a removable top-box.

Here's someone doing exactly that and I have to say, the result it pretty impressive! Having seen it, despite my misgivings, I might be tempted to have a go myself.

10. Re: Any engineers here? 
    Ro

I hate top boxes with a passion but I have to say what the guy in your link has done looks pretty good! great find! (and no I don't want one for the r6!) ;D ;D

roxy