Notices

Thread: Pale Riders

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Pale Riders 
    Kaz and I were talking recently about bikers and what a diverse bunch we seem to be , age, gender , background , jobs etc however there seemed to be one thing missing ... Race, why don't we see many black or asian bikers? I mean look around at our meets at the H&C, or the Polebarn... Even George Whites and Fowlers on a weekend, how many none white bikers do you see? And why do we think this is ?

While there have been guys and girls in our group like the Fijian guy who rides a 'Busa and maybe one other, for such a big group that consider ourselves friendly (more or less ) to anyone and everyone who rides 2 wheels regardless of who they are , where they come from etc etc it seems a bit odd that what is a large part of the British population isn't part of our own community....

Does anyone have any thoughts on this ?

2. Re: Pale Riders 
    Platinum Member
    Err Wiltshire, not really a diverse county is it? Go live in Lahndun and see how many black guys you see on R1's, loads innit.

3. Re: Pale Riders 
    It was the same at the NEC tho Mitch and you're telling me the Midlands isn't full of Asians and Afro Carribeans?

4. Re: Pale Riders 
    Haha, I was just thinking about putting something similar on here yesterday but was unsure how to word it. Well done for putting it so well.
    I snowboard, mountain bike and surf and it's the same story there too. Even if you take into account the percentage of the population that are non-white it still doesn't add up.
    People will tell you it's down to all sorts of social inequalities but the truth is, people from different ethnic backgrounds have completely different social structures and priorities.

5. Re: Pale Riders 
    Platinum Member
    What the builder fella said, and they really see no attraction to 2 wheels. I've seen this thread raised time and again on TRC and singletrackworld. 2 wheels is seen as poor mans travel in some cultures, on the other hand how many black guys have you seen in tricked out beemers?

6. Re: Pale Riders 
    Tractor drivin!
    Thats the same too.. :

7. Re: Pale Riders 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackandchrome
    Tractor drivin!
    Thats the same too.. :
    Not for long, http://www.aptonline.org/aptweb.nsf/...Emmanuel-Jones

8. Re: Pale Riders 
    Active Member Thorkill_The_Tall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeTriple
    Kaz and I were talking recently about bikers and what a diverse bunch we seem to be , age, gender , background , jobs etc however there seemed to be one thing missing ... Race, why don't we see many black or asian bikers? I mean look around at our meets at the H&C, or the Polebarn... Even George Whites and Fowlers on a weekend, how many none white bikers do you see? And why do we think this is ?

While there have been guys and girls in our group like the Fijian guy who rides a 'Busa and maybe one other, for such a big group that consider ourselves friendly (more or less ) to anyone and everyone who rides 2 wheels regardless of who they are , where they come from etc etc it seems a bit odd that what is a large part of the British population isn't part of our own community....

Does anyone have any thoughts on this ?
    The largest non-British community resisent in the country was always people from the Republic of Ireland. Or are we purely talking colour here? (I'm from Asia, yet I'm whiter than a snowflake on a snowman's arse)
    If so, according to the fountain of all knowledge (Wikipedia, he adds with his tounge firmly in cheek) the percentage of 'black' residents of the country is a lowly 2%. (Which I find rather strange, as nearly twenty years ago, whilst on a diversity awareness course, we were told it was 8%)

Anyway, what about disabled people?
    'Chinese' people?
    People with a lisp?
    Why must everything be about colour?

9. Re: Pale Riders 
    N.A.B.D. (national association for bikers with a disability) have their own group...and do loads of their own fundraising...
    Its a shame it has to be a separate group but in another way its good because it heightens awareness of people with disabilities with bikes and does some fantastic work etc.
    Diversity and equality is always spoken about and people do their best but to be honest isnt the aim not to label and segregate??
    It would be brilliant if people, no matter what they believe in, what culture they belong to, what 'god' they worship, what football team they support, what bike they ride, etc etc etc etc felt they could be a part of any group, team or whatever without feeling like an outsider and are welcomed for the person they are.......I Know Wiltshire Bikers welcome anyone and everyone without predjudice.... wouldnt it be great if that happened worldwide with everything???
    But sadly life isnt like that and there will always be a lack of diversity in the world and wars will still happen 'cos one 'god' is better than another......
    sorry went off on a tangent but thats just the way the world is i guess :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/

10. Re: Pale Riders 
    beautifully and eloquently put Tina....I totally agree with everything you said. x
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'