Notices

Thread: Helmet suggestions?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Helmet suggestions? 
    Once you try Arai, there's no going back... 8-)
    I used to wonder what the fuss was about them in the mid-80s until I tried one on at the BMF and thought "Aaahhh, now I get it", bought one and have worn them ever since, now on my 11th (12th if you include the off-road one as well)

Like Lis says, it's a very personal thing, you have to get what you really like and are comfortable in, and it'll be the bit of kit most responsible for keeping you alive in the event of a prang :'(

I like the old saying: "If you've got a ten dollar head, get a ten dollar helmet!"
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

2. Re: Helmet suggestions? 
    I've had Caberg (Flip front) and Shoei, much prefer the Shoei as lighter.
    I didn't like the internal visor on the Caberg, found it distorted my vision slightly
    The Shoei is much lighter in weight and has the pinlock system so I can fit a tinted screen on if I need it.
    I always wear ear plugs so can't really help you much with which one was the noisest
    It's Lilac... not pink!

3. Re: Helmet suggestions? 
    Diamond Member
    I've had a shoei and currently have a HJC. When funds become a little more fluid, I'll go back to a shoei I think as it was so comfortable, but also blocked a lot of wind noise. I wear ear plugs sometimes, but if I don't then it's very noisy

4. Re: Helmet suggestions? 
    Quote Originally Posted by CallumSM
    Alright thanks Blade, I know this is probably a common topic on majority of bike forums so I apologise for that.

However, I did have the Caberg in mind only I could figure out the comfortability, shape, feel, fit etc of the helmet by trying it on however to know how well it performs on the road (noise etc) I'd have to purchase it first so I was also looking to see if anyone had experience with the helmet before I went ahead or if others had different suggestions.

Many thanks!
    My wife wears a Caberg flip front and loves it.This is her second one nad she has another spare. I prefer my open face (again Caberg) with a visor.

5. Re: Helmet suggestions? 
    Had a Caberg and hated it really, only reason I kept it was because it was free..... Heavy and windy (even with ear plugs in!) My AGV is 100x better.

As others have said, there is no one helmet which will suit all, best bet is to try as many as possible and see what you like.

6. Re: Helmet suggestions? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    Once you try Arai, there's no going back... 8-)
    I'm sure that phrase wasn't coined about Arai helmets.... ;D

I find the Arai lining lovely but the fit awkward. Shoei all the way for me. I must have tried on a dozen different makes to reach that decision though.

7. Re: Helmet suggestions? 
    oh and don't be shy to try on the helmet for at least 5 to 10 minutes in the shop. some helmets are fine for a minute but you really notice things a lot more when you start moving around and it settles.

noise shouldn't be an issue / deciding factor with any helmet imho. no excuse for not wearing ear plugs.

8. Re: Helmet suggestions? 
    I'm assuming you're new to riding, young and funds are tight. It's all very well people saying "buy an arai/shoei but if you don't have the money, you don't have the money.

Arai make the best quality helmets in the world bar none. I'm not talking about fit or noise, i'm on about the quality of the materials used. Try on a middle of the road Arai like the quantum or the viper so you know how a decent helmet feels. These will be aroung £350. Use this as your benchmark then try and find something similar within your budget. You might have to come up a bit from £100 though. There are alot of cheap sh*t helmets out there.

Plain colours are cheapest but last years race reps can provide good bargains too. You want a D ring chin strap and enough vents to stop misting up.
    I've found AGV a good comprimise between quality and price.

9. Re: Helmet suggestions? 
    Okay, thanks for all your input.

@
    Wiltshire Builders, pretty much spot on, been riding for a little over a year, almost 18 with very little money. So looking for a good quality helmet which wont put me short too much.

Taking the advice given I searched around a little more and looked at a few AGV helmets and without going too north of £100 I found the K3 in Matt Black (which was about £140) which I like the look of and has been given good ratings, does anyone have any experience with this helmet?

10. Re: Helmet suggestions? 
    Callum, where do you live?
    If you can get to Swindon either by train or bus, I'd be happy to meet you and bring you over to GW so you can have a look at the bargin basement there. They have some really cheap lids as, Wilts Builders said, mainly because they are last years.
    I work shifts so just to sort out date/time?
    It's Lilac... not pink!