Notices

Thread: I think we should start naming and shaming

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: I think we should start naming and shaming 
    Quote Originally Posted by spook
    And its not just the ones pulling out. I had a guy run into the back of me last September then I stopped in the road to let a car out :-X That was the end of that bike.
    I don't ever let anyone out when riding. Too much risk of confusion. Also I don't want people expecting a bike to let them out, seeing the headlight on and thinking you've flashed them out. Had that happen before. Don't do it.

2. Re: I think we should start naming and shaming 
    If you think they haven't seen you, SOUND YOUR HORN before it's too late. It's there as a warning, and will save your skin. Don't be embarressed. It's saved me more times than I care to remember... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

3. Re: I think we should start naming and shaming 
    Platinum Member
    Is it time for a 'loud pipes save lives' debate??
    www.shinybikesyndrome.co.uk - Protection through innovation

4. Re: I think we should start naming and shaming 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nooj
    Is it time for a 'loud pipes save lives' debate??
    thats something i definately agree with. i might cut mine down......more. lol

5. Re: I think we should start naming and shaming 
    Platinum Member
    I had a guy run into the back of me last September when I stopped in the road to let a car out
    My rule of thumb, is only be courteous if it doesn't put you at risk.

The right hand turning into my close at home is narrow (well a squeeze for a car plus bike).
    When I take the right turn I now pull over to left to block cars from undertaking on my left.
    They are quite happy to drive within 3 inches of my left leg as they are in a metal box, but I'm not happy with it so I make them wait a few seconds.

Safety comes before courtesy in my book.

6. Re: I think we should start naming and shaming 
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnydangerous
    sometimes you dont even see them...(3 weeks in a hospital, 5 broken bones, 3 puncture wounds, 6 operations (7th pending) and 6 pints of blood, and learning to walk on a dodgy leg again)....

my angel was with me that day, but theres no guarantees......

take care peeps, but dont let it spoil your biking... :-)
    you still ride?

7. Re: I think we should start naming and shaming 
    Diamond Member
    [quote=Ducatista]
    I had a guy run into the back of me last September when I stopped in the road to let a car out
    My rule of thumb, is only be courteous if it doesn't put you at risk.

The right hand turning into my close at home is narrow (well a squeeze for a car plus bike).
    When I take the right turn I now pull over to left to block cars from undertaking on my left.
    They are quite happy to drive within 3 inches of my left leg as they are in a metal box, but I'm not happy with it so I make them wait a few seconds.

I agree with your rule of thumb - If I am stationary and a car has been waiting to exit a side road onto a busy main drag I will always allow the driver time to join the traffic flow. I know how frustrating it can be to wait for ages to exit a side road during rush hour. It’s all about striking a balance between riding safely and being courteous to other road users. I am of the opinion that roundabouts would work much more efficiently if vehicles did not enter and negotiate them in the same way as they would a chicane on a racetrack.

8. Re: I think we should start naming and shaming 
    Treat them like thier all out to get you and you cant go far wrong, that what my dad told me a long, long ,long time ago.
    And he was a Policeman ;D
    Older.. Wiser.....My Arse.

9. Re: I think we should start naming and shaming 
    I've started calling it my 'Bikers Complex'

A typical example being:

"They haven't seen me, they haven't seen me, move out a bit, they've still not seen me, they're going to try and kill me, they're going to try and kill me, hellooooo I'm here, why aren't you looking at me, better move out a bit further, ready to brake............oh, they did see me" ;D
    100 Japanese horses now unmuzzled! Derestricted hooliganism has commenced...

10. Re: I think we should start naming and shaming 
    Diamond Member
    If you ride everywhere like that Loops, short of something really stupid happening like someone running a red light etc, then you should be around for many years of happy riding!