Notices

Thread: Bike queries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: Bike queries 
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    Excuse me asking Emlyn, are you throwing good money after bad restoring that shed of a CBR? How much is that costing you? Did you consider flogging it for spares and putting what you get for it towards a better bike instead? :-?

The CBR's working now but I only bought it as a hobby/project and never considered what I was going to do once it was finished. I'm looking at part exchanging it but I still need to find a good bike and after going through Autotrader, ebaymotors, pistonheads etc. I'm yet to find a good bike for under 2500 and I don't fancy buying something that's over 10 years old which alot of bikes in that price range are.

2. Re: Bike queries 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyjgraham
    Theres a few good priced bikes in budget bikes in swindon at the moment.
    If you buy a bike from there, you need your head seeing to!

Never before in my life, have I encountered such a bunch of... Well I can only politely describe them as plonkers. Plonkers with no care about customers, service, aftersales care etc. If you ride it off the premises, and it breaks down outside the shop, they won't have anything to do with it.

We call it a tail light warranty (except in this case they still wouldn't help if they could still see your tail lights)

Personally, I would recommend Blade Trade centre, next to Triumph. Mikey there has helped me out loads since buying the bike. The day I first rode it (a week after picking it up) it broke down, they came out to me with their van, brought me back to the shop and gave me coffee while they prepared a brand new battery for me and fitted it free of charge.

Now that's good service!

#Edit: 2.5k bought my my 02 ZX6r, with 12,500 miles on the clock. I know for a fact they have some more in now with good mileage at good prices. If you don't know where it is, when you come off the roundabout for George Whites, and you turn left, iof you go straight on instead, it's down there on the left hand side. Their van is usually parked in front of that left hand junction into George Whites.

3. Re: Bike queries 
    Also recommend the Blade Trade Centre, he's a top bloke. And he's coming camping with us in July
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

4. Re: Bike queries 
    Emlyn, there is a georgeous, 98 Red and white R1 at ProBike is Newbury for £2,600. If i had the money i would buy it. Its in excellent condition for its age.

You can def get a nice bike for about 2.500

5. Re: Bike queries 
    Quote Originally Posted by nico_stew
    Emlyn, there is a georgeous, 98 Red and white R1 at ProBike is Newbury for £2,600. If i had the money i would buy it. Its in excellent condition for its age.

You can def get a nice bike for about 2.500
    Thanks for the info.

Just had a look at their website and I've emailed them about the bike, so hopefully they'll get back to me with some further info.

I'd spend more but I plan on getting married this year, not asked her yet, so I don't think it'll be a good start if I buy myself a new summer toy ;D

6. Re: Bike queries 
    Platinum Member
    Emlyn,
    Would you wear a cheap helmet? No.
    Would you feel comfortable in cheap leathers? No.
    Would you fit cheap tyres to your bike? No.

Main reason being on a motorcycle you cannot afford any breakages / catastrophic failures / seizures etc...

The Hyosungs are cheap for a reason, the Koreans & Chinese have far to go to catch up with the build quality of the Jap & European bikes, best to get something a bit older you can trust better...

7. Re: Bike queries 
    Platinum Member
    If it's going to be a used bike with no warranty as such, you'll be better off buying something privately that's obviously been looked after as you'll get a lot more for your money.

Pick a bike you like and hit the owner's forums, you rarely get a nail on them as sales are open to other forum members, so it would be stupid to try and palm off some crappy old bus there.

The Missus has just picked up a 2001 Aprilia Falco with an ohlins rear shock, 25,000 miles on the clock (nothing for the Rotax motors), standard and aftermarket cans, a satnav, a Givi topbox with rails attached, an assortment of mods that owners 'in the know' do, already done, all for about a grand and a half. There's a few scuffs on one side of the fairing, but other than that it's immaculate. Performance, practicality and reliability wise it'll piss all over a used Hyosung 650, there's much much better stuff out there for the money you talking about spending.
    www.shinybikesyndrome.co.uk - Protection through innovation

8. Re: Bike queries 
    I"ve started the proccess to get the bike from Pro-Bike in Newbury, but I'm not holding up much hope as I'm still currently away.

Thanks for all the advice, I see that Korean bikes aren't that popular on this forum even though I've been seeing some good reviews. I spose it's a bit like chosing between a Kia or a Ford, both good cars but one's more common

9. Re: Bike queries 
    Quote Originally Posted by CBRowner
    I"ve started the proccess to get the bike from Pro-Bike in Newbury, but I'm not holding up much hope as I'm still currently away.

Thanks for all the advice, I see that Korean bikes aren't that popular on this forum even though I've been seeing some good reviews. I spose it's a bit like chosing between a Kia or a Ford, both good cars but one's more common

Oh brilliant news. Tis a beautiful bike and i have been many a day at ProBike drooling over it.

10. Re: Bike queries 
    Quote Originally Posted by nico_stew
    [quote author=CBRowner link=1299779851/17#17 date=1299934508]I"ve started the proccess to get the bike from Pro-Bike in Newbury, but I'm not holding up much hope as I'm still currently away.

Thanks for the heads up. It is my favourite model, apart from the 07/08 version, and I hope that I get some good news when I speak to Kev on Wednesday

Failing that, I'll have to persuade my girlfriends granddad to let me have one of his bikes as he does keep promising me one so that I can get out on some rides with the guys on here instead of reading about it like I have been doing since I joined last year

Oh brilliant news. Tis a beautiful bike and i have been many a day at ProBike drooling over it.
    [/quote]