Notices

Thread: Beamer, Vivi, Hazel-nut, Toph?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Beamer, Vivi, Hazel-nut, Toph? 
    Mark, can you give me a costing of taking the restricted test using your own bike, this seems like the cheapest option.
    I really want to take the test as soon as poss, but with limited funds.
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'

2. Re: Beamer, Vivi, Hazel-nut, Toph? 
    I knew you'd rise to the bait Toph!

3. Re: Beamer, Vivi, Hazel-nut, Toph? 
    I really need to get it done and dusted Rach!!! He He!!
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'

4. Re: Beamer, Vivi, Hazel-nut, Toph? 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    If Beamer, Vivi, Hazel-nut, Toph (and probably Anatomiss in the summer) all pass, I think it calls for a......
    PARTY!!!!

Anyone agree? :-?
    We can have another party [smiley=beer.gif]

5. Re: Beamer, Vivi, Hazel-nut, Toph? 
    Hey Rachel, thats brilliant news.....you will do fab......WBers needs more young fully fledged biker chicks.....actually will you be the youngest????.....a bucketful of good luck to you Rachel (not that I think you will need it) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

6. Re: Beamer, Vivi, Hazel-nut, Toph? 
    go for it Rachel and good luck :-*

Toph - it aint going to get any easier or cheaper. :-*

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

7. Re: Beamer, Vivi, Hazel-nut, Toph? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline
    [quote author=Scotty link=1296678839/20#20 date=1296757681]If Beamer, Vivi, Hazel-nut, Toph (and probably Anatomiss in the summer) all pass, I think it calls for a......
    PARTY!!!!

We can have another party [smiley=beer.gif]
    [/quote]

Hell yeah!!!
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

8. Re: Beamer, Vivi, Hazel-nut, Toph? 
    As Robin put forward a good case for the 125 route, and it works well for him, on our last trip out I was the 750 and he wasn't as slow as I thought, but because I am an awkard bastard, I thought I would put forward my case for DAS, my personal choice.

I think it's worth mentioning that just because you take your DAS, it doesn't mean you have to jump straight onto a 2.3ltr rocket III or a Busa, you can go for a 250 or any bike with about 33bhp, but you then get the option to upgrade earlier if you wish rather than having to wait.

I have to say I found riding the 500 much easier than the 125, as soon as I got on the 500 the turn in the road was a piece of cake, so much better to have power on tap, rather than twist the throttle on the 125 and wait 20 secs for the revs to build. It's easier to maintain that power all the way through the manouver as well.

Don't worry about the size of the 500 compared to the 125, they both work pretty much exactly the same way, and it's not having the extra power thats the problem, it's how you use it. I pretty much went from DAS to 1200cc, I did get the usual 'u will kill urself' nonsense from friends and relatives, but it's just that, nonsense. If you are an inexperienced rider, and you jump on a powerful bike and just open it up, yeah you're probably going to do some hedgerow surfing, but then again if you jump on Ro's 250 and just open it up everywhere you stand a good chance of doing the same.

Just because you have the power, you don't HAVE to use it, it's just nice to know you have something in reserve, just ride a big bike like you would a small bike, get used to it first, take ur time it's not a race, I'm certain the way Mark taught you to ride a 125 will work if you jumped on the 500, and that extra power REALLY helps in all aspects, easier hill starts, faster safer overtakes, easier slow manouvers, but what I REALLY notice is I'm not up and down on the gearbox as much when out in the country, my engine only screams when I am making good progress (cough cough) and not all the damn fecking time, and by far the biggest advantage I have found when riding in town (when that extra power is godlike for getting away quickly at a busy junction AFTER you have got used to it) is that the bigger the bike, the less you get bullied.

I have a 750 and a 1200, I get bullied more on the 750, when I am around town, but it's quicker and more agile so escaping is easier, on the 1200 far less people try it on, and it's still narrow enough I can filter if needed.

At the end of the day, if you're a sensible person, you should know when you are confident to use the power, if you're not a sensible person, well, I would have to wonder if it's a good idea you're riding a bike.

Either option, 125 or DAS, I would strongly recomend once you have passed to get an extra 'advanced' lesson from Mark, with some motorway training, personally I think motorway training should be compulsory for EVERY license. I can also recomend getting either an IAM or RoSPA (or both, I don't think you are only allowed to get one or the other) qualification, I've started with IAM (second observed ride tomorrow) and already I've noticed the difference, plus there are added benefits, cheaper insurance, it's not bad for putting on your C.V., makes any newbe pillions you take out more relaxed, but the best benefit, is you can ride a blood bike!
    Don't get confused between my personality and my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are...

9. Re: Beamer, Vivi, Hazel-nut, Toph? 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    If Beamer, Vivi, Hazel-nut, Toph (and probably Anatomiss in the summer) all pass, I think it calls for a......
    PARTY!!!!

"Is the Pope a catholic?" "Does a Bear sh*t in the woods?"

Let's party all night long! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

10. Re: Beamer, Vivi, Hazel-nut, Toph? 
    I agree with Hunars position regarding DAS. I had a 125 and after riding it around for 3 weeks made the decision to go DAS. First time I sat on the 500 I wondered how the hell I was going to manage it however after a quick blast from Frome to Warminster services with Mark Able it felt great.

I didn't do too well with the U turn during practice but the test went like a dream and by the way I'm not the tallest at 5'6".