Notices

Thread: What Size, What Bike, What to do!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: What Size, What Bike, What to do! 
    Platinum Member
    Went don't to GW today and tried out a load of bikes, everything from full blown superbikes to cruisers and actually found the sports bikes more comfortable in terms of riding position than anything else, although this could just be because I'm used to sitting like that while on a bike. I found the gears/break felt awkward on anything else. But ran into another problem of having size 12 feet! i couldn't physically get my foot under the gear lever to change up without having to completely take my foot off the peg and bring it in from the side. I assume i could just get a longer shift lever or something but based on not changing anything i've narrowed down the choice to 2 bikes.
    The yzf-r6, which i actually found really comfortable and the handlebars were near enough exactly where my hands naturally sit when i lean forward and tbh i would give up all comfort for those looks and that sound! OR the triumph 675 which i found i sat much more upright on but found all the controls and levers sat in the right place without any problem at all and would probably save me a bit of neck ache on longer trips!
    But I'm not set in stone about anything yet so keep up the suggestions i've got a few months yet before I'm going to make my decision!

2. Re: What Size, What Bike, What to do! 
    Scottys advice to go sit on bikes and try them is probably the best advice you could be given however I have PM'd you with another suggestion.

Steve

3. Re: What Size, What Bike, What to do! 
    I'd get a restricted 600. You'll still get good bottom end performance, just the top end is reduced. There is plenty of power to riddle your licence at 33bhp.....

...the other reason is you'll loose money bying and then selling a 250 in the order of hundreds of pounds, far more than the cost of the restriction.

I'd go for a cheap flat bar bike to start with, Sv650, Honda Hornet, Yam Fazer, Suz Bandit are all good and withing your price range.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

4. Re: What Size, What Bike, What to do! 
    The SV650 is a good option..
    the 33bhp restriction is done by swaping the ECU for a restricted one, they are cheap and kicking around in the SV forums...

my ex had an SV650, and even with the restricted ECU fitted the bike still pulled away pretty well..

also very easy to ride around, light and flickable... suspension could be better, but... you might not feel the need

5. Re: What Size, What Bike, What to do! 
    It's even simpler on the earlier carbed ones, just a pair of washers in the carb inlets.

Either way, great bikes!!!
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

6. Re: What Size, What Bike, What to do! 
    yeh, that's on what they refer to the curved ones right? the later models are known as pointy?

dont remember exactly... but im sure the earlier versions are easier to do.. the ECU sits just under the seat and its literally a 2min job, to get to the carbs is still a bit of a job..

still, a very good bike.... as long as you take care of them, ride it through the winter without anti corrosion protection or a good wash after and they'll fall apart

7. Re: What Size, What Bike, What to do! 
    That's right.

Up to K2 are the Curvy Sv's and these have carbs. K3 onwards are Pointy Sv's and have injection.

8. Re: What Size, What Bike, What to do! 
    Diamond Member
    Test ride everything you can, that should help your decision.

9. Re: What Size, What Bike, What to do! 
    Only one choice! Ninja6R unless your a girl? lol

10. Re: What Size, What Bike, What to do! 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dazlow
    Only one choice! Ninja6R unless your a girl? lol
    The ninja was actually the bike i was most looking at but then i just started seeing them EVERYWHERE! and it kind of put me off a bit tbh same a a Gixer, *looks down a line of parked up bikes* ... * gixer gixer gixer gixer ninja ninja gixer ninja gixer gixer gixer ninja ninja ninja ninja gixer etc.*... what a surprise!