Notices

Thread: The plan! (for my bike...)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. The plan! (for my bike...) 
    Platinum Member
    So after the current mess I'm in is sorted out i am going to ... spruce up my bike a bit! and by a bit i mean a lot, of course!
    It's a 2001 Aprilia RS 125 and at the moment its near enough bog standard. I've fitted paddock stand bobbins, changed the fairing bolts, screen bolts, tank bolt, wheel nut and mirror bolts to blue alu/titanium replacements and have just rebuilt the engine and put a RAVE valve in, fitted a RAVE controller and swapped out the standard CDI, with the annoying emissions dip at 6k rpm and the really annoying retardation of the engine past 10.6k rmp, for a single curve race CDI. Apart from that it is as it was when it came out of the factory 10 years ago!
    The general plan is get some more power out of the engine without going completely nuts. Then get it looking all fancy, then depending on what happens in the mean time I may go balls out and get a 154cc big bore kit, have it ported and treat myself to a £500 Jolly Moto race exhaust! However for now this is my shopping list:
    Ramair Air Filter
    V-Force 3 Reed Valve system
    Arrow Performance Exhaust System with Kevlar Shouty thing
    34mm Dellorto Flat Slide Race Carburetor
    34mm Inlet Manifold
    RK Heavy Duty Chain (Blue)
    Race Renthal Grips
    Tax Disc Holder (Blue)
    Alloy Bar End Weights (Blue)
    Carbon Look Rear Indi.
    Carbon Look Clutch/Break lever
    Billet CNC Quick Release Petrol Cap
    Gilles Tooling Rear Set (Black)

Possible Later Purchases:
    BI-Turbo Rear Shock
    Jolly Moto Race Exhaust
    Polini 154cc Big Bore kit

that is in the order I'm planning on doing it but the order may change because some parts will need the carb re-jetting and I don't want to have to re-jet it 5 times because i didn't plan it out properly!

This isn't going to be a particularly fast moving thing as living alone is somewhat expensive, the bike is very high maintenance anyway needing a 300 odd pound top end rebuild every 10k miles tops, so the speed at which this progresses is very much dependent on how much life gets in the way.

I'm also planning on replacing the fairings, I love the way the bike looks its one of the best looking "sexy" bikes you can buy IMHO but I still think the fairings could look much better with some custom ones, You can get a set of race fairings fairly cheaply which can easily be modified to work for road use and I just happen to have a brother who is an absolutely AMAZING artist. I'm going to get him to draw up some concepts for me and will post them up so you can give your opinions!
    Geo

2. Re: The plan! (for my bike...) 
    Platinum Member
    To be honest mate youed be better off putting that sort of financial outlay towards a bigger bike

3. Re: The plan! (for my bike...) 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by silly_simon
    To be honest mate youed be better off putting that sort of financial outlay towards a bigger bike
    I would agree with you but I'm almost 100% going to keep this bike for my 2 year restriction due to not being able to afford the insurance for a bigger bike because I'm just getting stupid quotes from every insurance company, normally more than the bike costs... and I can't really see myself sticking to a standard rs 125 for 2 years and every time i spend more money on the bike the more money i lose if i sell it, if you get my logic... The other reason I'm thinking about sticking with this bike is what anybody who's ever owned one says when they see me on it, "Had one of these x amount of time ago, I'd definitely have one again" or something along those lines anyways. Yes a bigger bike is faster and more reliable but i'll still get about a ton out of this if not a bit more and do i really need any more than that on the road?! I often find myself over the speed limit by complete accident as it is, I'm not one to sit at 60 in a 60 but i also find that i forget about speed limits completely, not deliberately but because it is so easy to go that much faster, even on my rs 125 i just don't realize how fast I'm going!
    Geo

4. Re: The plan! (for my bike...) 
    Platinum Member
    Kick ass! Go for it I say. Anyone can trade up to a bigger bike but what ever you get there will always be things you want to change on it, it's much much more involving and satisfying (and almost certainly cheaper long term) to get the spanners out and make your current bike into something special and unique that's right for you, that you'll want to keep for years.
    www.shinybikesyndrome.co.uk - Protection through innovation

5. Re: The plan! (for my bike...) 
    and if you are lucky you'll have time to ride it too

6. Re: The plan! (for my bike...) 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobf279
    Where would the fun be in that?? ;D

7. Re: The plan! (for my bike...) 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobf279
    Hahaha to be honest that is the beauty of a 2 stroke engine, none of the mods that involve the engine are particularly difficult to do or very time consuming, even putting on the big bore kit is a job that can be done in an afternoon! The exhaust is just 2 springs and 6 bolts, changing the carb is 1 screw... you get the idea xD the only thing that will take a while to get sorted is the new rear set! But its just so shiny that I can't resist it xD

8. Re: The plan! (for my bike...) 
    Platinum Member
    *Shameless plug*

Don't forget I offer discounts on Pro-Bolt parts if you're thinking about getting any more blue ally/titanium stuff

9. Re: The plan! (for my bike...) 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nooj
    *Shameless plug*

Don't forget I offer discounts on Pro-Bolt parts if you're thinking about getting any more blue ally/titanium stuff
    Oooo... I didn't know that! I'm holding you to that! Bc I probably will be!

10. Re: The plan! (for my bike...) 
    Can I ask on what bikes have you been given quotes on?

Cos last year when I passed my test I got a Kawasaki GPZ500s insured for well under £250 and considering the money your thinking of shelling out on an rs 125 .......well seems madness!