Well, the lovely weather didn't make a jot of difference to me, as I rode home from work yesterday. Pootling across the Virgin Mobile roundabout on the White Horse Business Park in Trowbridge, doing no more than 35mph, hit fresh diesel, and met the tarmac. It's so annoying. There was so much diesel down that it coated my gyres, actually flicking off and coating the inside of the mudguards, and soaking my jacket. Bizarrely, within seconds, Holly McLennan and Stuart Powell turned up independently. Phoenix recovered my bike, Stuart called Police, and Holly hung around to give me a lift home. The Police arrived promptly, and set about warning other bikers, and organising the Highways Agency to do a clean up. It was scary watching another lad ride his 125 crosser across the spill, wearing jeans and T-shirt.

I've got to thank everyone who came to my assistance. It's so annoying. If it was a spill because of the way I was riding, I'd put my hands up and admit it was my own fault. But when it turns out to be someone's lack of consideration, I find it infuriating. The bike has sustained superficial damage, the worst of which is a written off titanium Acropovic. I've got a very painful knee, along with a bruised shoulder. I'm glad I was wearing the right gear.

To anyone who thinks it's cool to ride wearing T-shirt and jeans, I hope you don't suffer the same misfortune, because it'll hurt a lot more than my spill... >