Notices

Thread: DSA dictate what to wear on test

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Re: DSA dictate what to wear on test 
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed_Fly
    Mark, I may be wrong here, but do most training centres carry spare kit for people doing CBTs etc? I've done a few over the years, with 3 or 4 different centres, and they all had kit that we could use. This extended to the bike test also if required.

I was always told, if you can't afford safe kit, you can't afford to ride. You can get fully kitted up in George Whites for less than £100. I'll never forget my first CBT instructor telling me that as you slide down the road at 20mph, you lose the 1st layer of denim within 2 metres, then it's 1mm of skin/flesh for every extra metre you slide afterwards. That's a hell of a mess for other people to have to see and/or clear up.

I've ridden in jeans before, so I'm half playing devils advocate, but it's not something I do very often, and I have almost 12 years of riding experience. I certainly wouldn't recommend shorts & t-shirt to a 17 year old who is out for the first time on a 'ped, possibly trying to keep up with his/her mates etc.

IMO, it's a good lesson to teach at the start of someones motorcycle career, then when you have some experience, age & wisdom, you can perhaps take some minimal risks. Even when in jeans, I still have my leather jacket, and boots or very sturdy trainers on.

When Ive been out in the car with Connor he has heard us talking and now if he sees people on bikes showing any flesh i.e shorts t-shirts he will say they will hurt themselves if they come off. He already knows and he's 9 !!!
    As a parent (of older kids too) I wouldnt allow them to ride without decent stuff....Im not talking alpine and all the big names...Im talking just protective clothing that does the job.
    You wear goggles when you go swimming cos it can sting your eyes whilst you swim...people do that from experience...maybe it takes one or 2 offs with bare flesh showing to realise that it hurts!!

To be honest Im bloody glad i had such padded knees, hands and feet after the amount of times i dropped my bike ...i was lucky enough to just walk away with bruised pride hehehe ;D ;D ;D ;D

2. Re: DSA dictate what to wear on test 
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed_Fly
    Mark, I may be wrong here, but do most training centres carry spare kit for people doing CBTs etc? I've done a few over the years, with 3 or 4 different centres, and they all had kit that we could use. This extended to the bike test also if required.

I was always told, if you can't afford safe kit, you can't afford to ride. You can get fully kitted up in George Whites for less than £100. I'll never forget my first CBT instructor telling me that as you slide down the road at 20mph, you lose the 1st layer of denim within 2 metres, then it's 1mm of skin/flesh for every extra metre you slide afterwards. That's a hell of a mess for other people to have to see and/or clear up.

I've ridden in jeans before, so I'm half playing devils advocate, but it's not something I do very often, and I have almost 12 years of riding experience. I certainly wouldn't recommend shorts & t-shirt to a 17 year old who is out for the first time on a 'ped, possibly trying to keep up with his/her mates etc.

IMO, it's a good lesson to teach at the start of someones motorcycle career, then when you have some experience, age & wisdom, you can perhaps take some minimal risks. Even when in jeans, I still have my leather jacket, and boots or very sturdy trainers on.
    +1

3. Re: DSA dictate what to wear on test 
    do they still make shell suits???
    It's Lilac... not pink!

4. Re: DSA dictate what to wear on test 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieD
    Not sure, but I bet Basil could tell you! ;D ;D ;D

5. Re: DSA dictate what to wear on test 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieD
    The NEDS still wear them up in Glasgae I believe.

I've even had a lady turn up in skirt and stilletoes...
    "Today the first part of your test will be practicing getting on and off of this Fireblade while I take pictures..."

As for the advice/orders from the DSA, it's the same stuff I was told before doing my CBT 11 years ago, nothing new there.
    www.shinybikesyndrome.co.uk - Protection through innovation

6. Re: DSA dictate what to wear on test 
    SF I think you took my comment out of context. I stand by my statement though, at what point does the legislation go too far. Ultimately bikes are more dangerous than cars irrigardless of what you wear so, lets just ban them and solve anyone the hastle of clearing up bodies and skin etc.

I was not advocating wearing shorts and a tshirt, I have been to the shop like thst but thats a mile away in a 20 limit. But it should be up to me what i wear not some liberal do gooder in Whitehall to make my choice for me!

For the record at a training schools yes it should be required but no need for a law change just for that!

7. Re: DSA dictate what to wear on test 
    Educate, not Legislate, as Mark pointed out. Perhaps some bright spark at the DSA (assuming they've ever employed one, doubtful...) could devise a simple display board for training schools to have on show - a simple photograph of the aftermath of a "skin crayon" (love that expression) having come to grief, with a simple slogan like "your skin, your choice" beneath it...

Discuss.
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

8. Re: DSA dictate what to wear on test 
    All I know is I'd be dead if I wasn't wearing my leathers, boots, gloves and a decent lid. If you ever want to buy a cheap lid then come and see what's left of mine after I was dragged down the road underneath the car by my head.

You don't ever expect to get involved in an accident, neither did I. I'm fortunate in that: I'm paralysed from the chest down not the neck down, the leathers stopped me from getting shredded/broken/killed.

Three moped riders were in the spinal unit at the same time as me, two had cheap lids, both were brain damaged, one couldn't even speak.

Your choice indeed, but I think anyone who considers themselves indestructible should spend some time in a wheelchair. I hate it, it totally sucks, don't join this club because you will loathe it too. I want everyone to enjoy riding and keep enjoying it, so wear proper kit.

9. Re: DSA dictate what to wear on test 
    The idea is sound. It does say at the bottom of the piece;

"More advice and guidance Clothing is one of the subjects covered in element A of compulsory basic training (CBT)."

As long as they stick to this guiance then all well and good. The issue with be the Jobsworths.

Once qualified, it's up to you.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

10. Re: DSA dictate what to wear on test 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Talan
    All I know is I'd be dead if I wasn't wearing my leathers, boots, gloves and a decent lid. If you ever want to buy a cheap lid then come and see what's left of mine after I was dragged down the road underneath the car by my head.

You don't ever expect to get involved in an accident, neither did I. I'm fortunate in that: I'm paralysed from the chest down not the neck down, the leathers stopped me from getting shredded/broken/killed.

Three moped riders were in the spinal unit at the same time as me, two had cheap lids, both were brain damaged, one couldn't even speak.

Your choice indeed, but I think anyone who considers themselves indestructible should spend some time in a wheelchair. I hate it, it totally sucks, don't join this club because you will loathe it too. I want everyone to enjoy riding and keep enjoying it, so wear proper kit.
    +1
    I spoke to Talan the weekend & anybody who thinks they can get away with riding around in a t-shirt & trainers should do so & see the consequences of a real-time bike accident.

I have always worn full bike gear since riding motorcycles on the road @16 and will always continue to do so - sweat will wash off easier than scars or skin grafts, the human body is not designed to travel faster than running speed & if you chuck it down the road at 80mph then God help you if you dont have anything worthwhile between your skin & bone, tell your human rights to the Surgeon as he gives you another injection to help the pain & stop you screaming as they move you to another ward after getting noise complaints from the other patients...

& on that note - Squashed Fly - it took a while but you have finally come up with a solid & sensible argument, nearly proud of you!