Notices

Thread: Bugger... highside is Bugger #4...

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Bugger... 
    Platinum Member
    I've ordered a new inlet manifold and will swap it out as soon as it arrives see if it makes a difference, it will need replacing anyway in the condition its in and i don't want to go faffing about with crank seals and whatnot if i don't have to.

2. Re: Bugger... 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    Have you checked the cooling circuit? If it seized then freed that may be due to contraction. But, I would think it would smell hot at the time... not sure.

As to compression, try putting some oil in the bore and trying again... it could be a dry engine causing the rings to leak.
    I've not checked the cooling circuit but that wouldn't stop the engine firing and at the minute that is my biggest concern, once i get the engine running i can figure out if there are any other problems.
    I tried putting some oil in the bore and it helped slightly but it still only got up to 70ish
    Geo

3. Re: Bugger... 
    It's only a stinkwheel, dead easy to drain the coolant and whip the head and barrel off to see if there's any evidence of seizure on piston and barrel, check the bore for marks and damage, check the rings etc.
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

4. Re: Bugger... 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    It's only a stinkwheel, dead easy to drain the coolant and whip the head and barrel off to see if there's any evidence of seizure on piston and barrel, check the bore for marks and damage, check the rings etc.
    yea going to take the cylinder head off tomorrow and have a look had a few things to do today so didn't have the time.

5. Re: Bugger... 
    Platinum Member
    Personaly, from past experience with these bikes and engines, if the compression is that low, with the millage i would say that the crank seals have gone and burning smell could have possibly be the burnt exhaust gases coming out of the seals.

6. Re: Bugger... 
    Platinum Member
    Up to this point i've had very limited periods of time to do anything with the bike, but tomorrow i'm going to have a full day to play with, i will get all the fairings off and have a proper go over it.
    You're probably right crewy and i really need to get the whole bike dismantled and replace all the seals/gaskets/O-Rings etc. i don't think the bikes been treated too well in the past and if i'm honest i've neglected it a bit in the last few months. Once i've got a job again i'm going to get started on completely refurbishing the bike so its like new, that will include a new L-side fairing, after a minor accident a few months back, new exhaust, as the current one is covered in rust and generally in a bad way, a top end rebuild, maybe a full rebuild depending on what i see after taking it apart, I'm not sure i believe the previous owner about it having a rebuild at 12k km so it is probably well over due. Might also treat it to a 34mm carb and new rear set!
    but at the moment i just need to get the thing running, the crank seals are most likely the cause but i want to rule everything else out first. will update tomorrow when i've spent a day playing with it :]
    Geo

7. Re: Bugger... 
    Platinum Member
    Another update, had a massive hassle getting the left side fairing off this morning most of the fairing mounting clips had rusted ... only on the left side, can't quite figure out how that works but meh! i had to break most of them off and did a bit of damage to the fairing by doing so but as i am replacing it soon i wasn't too fussed, when i finally managed to get that off i took the fuel tank, air filter unit and 2 stroke tank out, no problems other than the expected Italian awkwardness, some of the positions for nuts and the like is just preposterous! Then drained the radiator and made a big mess because the exhaust was right in the way off the flow i'm guessing they intended it to be done on the side stand and i had it on an auxiliary! but meh! nothing nasty in the coolant apart from a few tiny metal flakes that I'm hoping are from the radiator and not something more ominous. Then i got to work getting the cylinder head off which proved harder than expected because the nuts were unbelievably tight, to the point where I'm fairly sure somebody put them on with an air gun > lazy ba**ards! Just as i got the cylinder head off i got a call and had to shove it all back together pretty sharpish but did manage to get a quick look at the cylinder and piston and there didn't seem to be any damage!
    I've now got a full gasket kit, and crank bearings and seals on the way and I'm taking the bike up to a mates who has an empty garage to dismantle and rebuild the whole thing which, fingers crossed, will sort it out. I will have a proper look over the cylinder and piston / rings then and if they need replacing i will order one so i can stick it on during the rebuild.
    Hope to be back on the road by the end of next week if all goes well! and then i can get to work on sprucing the bike up with new shiny things ;D
    Geo

8. Re: Bugger... 
    Platinum Member
    Yet another update, I took the cylinder head off again and had a proper look at the cylinder and piston and it wasn't horrid but as I'm going to have the engine out anyway i thought i would order a new cylinder and piston. I also got the rest of the parts to derestrict it but i need to get it running before i can figure out if the solenoid already installed is still working it looks a bit rusty and knackered, I'm taking my bike to a mates garage on the 12th and hope to drop the engine out on friday afternoon then dismantle and reassemble it on saturday and have the bike back together completely on sunday. When, fingers crossed, it will be running again.

Just a quick question... or two, I'm replacing the main bearings while i've got the crank case apart and according to haynes the right hand main bearing cannot be removed without a slide hammer with knife edged bearing puller is this true or just haynes being awkward?
    Also haynes says to fit the new bearing they need to be heated with a hot air gun at 90 degrees, not having a hot air gun or "slide hammer with knife edged bearing puller"(which coincidentally i can't find anywhere...) i may have a problem, are they needed and if so, any tips for getting around this or a way to do it without?
    Thanks
    Geo

9. Re: Bugger... 
    I'd put the whole crank case in the oven, gas mark 9 for 30 mins. This will expand the cases and allow the bearing to drop out.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

10. Re: Bugger... 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    I'd put the whole crank case in the oven, gas mark 9 for 30 mins. This will expand the cases and allow the bearing to drop out.
    Although i'm sure that would work i'm not sure my m8 would appreciate my sticking my crank case in his oven! xD although i will keep it as a last resort!