Notices

Thread: Bugger... highside is Bugger #4...

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
  1. Bugger... highside is Bugger #4... 
    Platinum Member
    Well my luck just keeps getting better and better, had nothing to do today so i thought i would go and post my deposit/details for my test to mark personally and save myself a stamp! all went fine, and then on my way home i thought i would have a little blast through the back roads, so off i go and then find myself back on the A303 somehow, as i come down a hill my engine stopped, i pulled in the clutch... as you do... and then every time i let it out the back wheel locked up... by this time i was thinking, "Oh S**T, here we go again..." i coast down the rest of the hill and pull over on the side of the road, which is a dual carriage-way (not ideal...) , then start looking for the problem hoping for the best but expecting the worst, i look at the engine temperature and its shot up to almost 100 and the engine won't even turn over, t has seized solid!
    I go off to look for an SoS phone because naturally i've forgotten mine at home not that it would have done me much good... i, stupidly, don't have breakdown cover, i walk for about 5 mins and don't see any signs for a phone at all so i go back to my bike to try and figure out what to do, as i come round the corner who's waiting there but the old plod who proceed to tell me how dangerous it is to stop where i had, as if had deliberately chosen an awkward place to break down... the second cop in the car got out and he was actually reasonable and told his m8 to, and i quote "shush, and go sit in the car" which got me laughing and then he helped me sort out recovery, not having break down cover, it cost me almost £200 and i'm dreading finding out how much repairing the bike will be. If it's too much i may just cut my losses and sell it as spares/repairs but we will see!
    So i may not be out for a while :[ and i'm not too sure how i will be getting to do my test :S will have to figure that problem out when i get to it...
    A most disgruntled, Geo

2. Re: Bugger... 
    Am really sorry to read of your misfortune mate, I know all to well what it's like to breakdown on a bike with no way of being recovered which is why I now have full breakdown cover (I never ever want to push a bike for 3 miles again at 5 in the morning ).Whereabouts was it you broke down on the A303 mate???.

3. Re: Bugger... 
    Platinum Member
    It was just at the bottom of the big hill by Berwick St. james, i turned off the A36 onto the B3083 then turned left after that onto the A303, must have been 5-6 miles before Deptford
    Geo

4. Re: Bugger... 
    Platinum Member
    Sorry to hear about ur bad day, these thing r set to test us! But it's an easy engine to work on, the plastic gears in the gearbox break and can cause the engine to seize. If you try to fix it ur self drop me a PM i may be able to help

Let us know how you get on [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

5. Re: Bugger... 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crewy
    Sorry to hear about ur bad day, these thing r set to test us! But it's an easy engine to work on, the plastic gears in the gearbox break and can cause the engine to seize. If you try to fix it ur self drop me a PM i may be able to help

Let us know how you get on [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    Thanks a lot mate will keep it in mind, the recovery base that my bike was taken to is just round the corner from hayballs so I'm going to see what sort of quote i get from them before i decide what I'm going to do
    Geo

6. Re: Bugger... 
    sucks mate ! Got have breakdown cover these days never no whats going happen lol !
    Anyway hope ya get it sorted soon m8 and well done for booking ur test i payed mine to mark today aswell by hand

7. Re: Bugger... 
    As a matter of interest, what oil do you run it on Geo? :-? Didn't run out did it?
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

8. Re: Bugger... 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    As a matter of interest, what oil do you run it on Geo? :-? Didn't run out did it?
    I run it on high performance castrol T2 not sure of the exact spec without looking, and I had filled it up about 2 days ago so unless there is a problem with the oil line then stopped it running through then it didn't run out.
    Geo

9. Re: Bugger... 
    Platinum Member
    Just a thought, I am going to get hayballs to have a nose and give me a quote on repairing it but with my current situation I would probably save myself a lot of money doing the work myself, only problem is I have no way of moving the bike and I don't have a garage. Does anyone have a van/trailer/free garage space who would be able to help me out? Obv. petrol money and a pint or two would be in order but it would be much apreciated. Just a thought atm but would be nice to know just throw me a PM if you do
    Thanks Geo

10. Re: Bugger... 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    +1

If it has gone bang a lot of the time it is cheaper, easier & quicker to swap in a used engine rather than pick metal chunks & swarf out of the old one...