Up to this point i've had very limited periods of time to do anything with the bike, but tomorrow i'm going to have a full day to play with, i will get all the fairings off and have a proper go over it.
You're probably right crewy and i really need to get the whole bike dismantled and replace all the seals/gaskets/O-Rings etc. i don't think the bikes been treated too well in the past and if i'm honest i've neglected it a bit in the last few months. Once i've got a job again i'm going to get started on completely refurbishing the bike so its like new, that will include a new L-side fairing, after a minor accident a few months back, new exhaust, as the current one is covered in rust and generally in a bad way, a top end rebuild, maybe a full rebuild depending on what i see after taking it apart, I'm not sure i believe the previous owner about it having a rebuild at 12k km so it is probably well over due. Might also treat it to a 34mm carb and new rear set!
but at the moment i just need to get the thing running, the crank seals are most likely the cause but i want to rule everything else out first. will update tomorrow when i've spent a day playing with it :]
Geo