Yet another update, I took the cylinder head off again and had a proper look at the cylinder and piston and it wasn't horrid but as I'm going to have the engine out anyway i thought i would order a new cylinder and piston. I also got the rest of the parts to derestrict it but i need to get it running before i can figure out if the solenoid already installed is still working it looks a bit rusty and knackered, I'm taking my bike to a mates garage on the 12th and hope to drop the engine out on friday afternoon then dismantle and reassemble it on saturday and have the bike back together completely on sunday. When, fingers crossed, it will be running again.

Just a quick question... or two, I'm replacing the main bearings while i've got the crank case apart and according to haynes the right hand main bearing cannot be removed without a slide hammer with knife edged bearing puller is this true or just haynes being awkward?
Also haynes says to fit the new bearing they need to be heated with a hot air gun at 90 degrees, not having a hot air gun or "slide hammer with knife edged bearing puller"(which coincidentally i can't find anywhere...) i may have a problem, are they needed and if so, any tips for getting around this or a way to do it without?
Thanks
Geo