Notices

Thread: They need to be banned!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. Re: They need to be banned! 
    Gawd help us all :
    I need amusement in my sad life and it looks, very much, like you fit this requirement admirably..............begin the amusement!!!!!

2. Re: They need to be banned! 
    Diamond Member
    In reference to the ageist comments, in my experience, and therefore in my opinion, there is no one age group worse than any other in terms of their danger to others on the road. It's just a different set of limitations. Yes, older people can drive slower (more cautiously maybe) than others in a particular speed limit, but that is a maximum limit not a compulsory speed you have to do. Why do we as bikers advise other bikers not to stray out of their comfort zone, yet get mad at four wheel drivers who effectively are doing the same thing? At any age. And yes, eyesight deteriorates with age, but that can be counteracted by giving more time for reactions and that is where 40 years of experience on the roads can be a whole load more effective than 20/20 vision. Of course it's frustrating being behind a load of cars with double whites, but thats part of sharing the tarmac with others. Live and let live.

Again, in my experience, and recognising the controversial nature of saying this on a bike forum, I feel more at personal risk from other motorcyclists than I ever have from older drivers. Usually it's "too close" and/or "too fast". We all do it sometimes, but lets be honest with ourselves and not blame others for our own actions. If you end up rear ending a car because they do a hard braking manouvere (for whatever reason) who do you really think is at fault?

3. Re: They need to be banned! 
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme
    Again, in my experience, and recognising the controversial nature of saying this on a bike forum, I feel more at personal risk from other motorcyclists than I ever have from older drivers. Usually it's "too close" and/or "too fast".
    : I'll remember that next time I'm hooning down a welsh mountain towards the rear end of the GS!!! ;D ;D

Roxy xx :-*

4. Re: They need to be banned! 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by roxychick
    [quote author=BMWGraeme link=1311441539/31#31 date=1311851220]Again, in my experience, and recognising the controversial nature of saying this on a bike forum, I feel more at personal risk from other motorcyclists than I ever have from older drivers. Usually it's "too close" and/or "too fast".
    : I'll remember that next time I'm hooning down a welsh mountain towards the rear end of the GS!!! ;D ;D

Roxy xx :-*[/quote]

I probably wouldn't even feel a little Ars6 hitting the GS panniers - it takes another GS to knock over a GS ;D ;D.

Plus I always keep an eye out for you knowing you will shortly be appearing in my mirrors ;D

5. Re: They need to be banned! 
    Quote Originally Posted by NoYou
    [quote author=monday21 link=1311441539/28#28 date=1311783637][quote author=Dabz link=1311441539/22#22 date=1311751778]volume of traffic I suspect...
    You are right James - too many fish in too small a pond and unfortunately, according to predictions the pond will be stocked with plenty more fish in the future.[/quote]
    Yea lots more brain damaged fish![/quote]

Found another one of them!!!!

As I pulled off of the roundabout at North bradley to head towards west wilts trading estate, I noticed a car behind me. Now, on the Cub I only do about 40 - 45mph so I pulled over to indicate for him to pass, he sits behind me. No probs! Just start to pull over to the right hand side and signal right for the roundabout and he comes screaming past, just missing me and swerving back in front to avoid the traffic island at the roundabout. His mate is hanging out the window giving me a filth look.... so he got the universal agincout hand symbol for his troubles!!!!!

Feking chavs! A bloody menace!
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

6. Re: They need to be banned! 
    You have started something here George.....

It does make you wonder why all road user are not tested for "fitness to drive" If you hold a driving license you should be re-accessed every so often because we all get bad habits and our eyesight and reactions starts to fail with age.
    How many of you have read the latest version of the Highway code since passing your test??

If all drivers/riders were tested every 5 years say then I'm sure driving habits would improve??

As for cyclist riding on the pavements I think on some roads it makes sense? Empty pavement or narrow busy A road?? No contest in my mind.

Been riding longer than I can remember....But still enjoying it.

7. Re: They need to be banned! 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme
    In reference to the ageist comments, in my experience, and therefore in my opinion, there is no one age group worse than any other in terms of their danger to others on the road. It's just a different set of limitations. Yes, older people can drive slower (more cautiously maybe) than others in a particular speed limit, but that is a maximum limit not a compulsory speed you have to do. Why do we as bikers advise other bikers not to stray out of their comfort zone, yet get mad at four wheel drivers who effectively are doing the same thing? At any age. And yes, eyesight deteriorates with age, but that can be counteracted by giving more time for reactions and that is where 40 years of experience on the roads can be a whole load more effective than 20/20 vision. Of course it's frustrating being behind a load of cars with double whites, but thats part of sharing the tarmac with others. Live and let live.

Again, in my experience, and recognising the controversial nature of saying this on a bike forum, I feel more at personal risk from other motorcyclists than I ever have from older drivers. Usually it's "too close" and/or "too fast". We all do it sometimes, but lets be honest with ourselves and not blame others for our own actions. If you end up rear ending a car because they do a hard braking manouvere (for whatever reason) who do you really think is at fault?
    I'm not putting all elderly people together here there are pleanty of older people who are perfectly fine, but when one persons limitations inconvenience 30+ other road users it gets silly, I'm not necissarily saying throw them off the road but they need to start taking into consideration other road users. Even if they pulled over every now and again to let the hordes of people behind past. I know its not ONLY older people and I know its not ALL old people but a majority I see ARE older people.
    It also wouldn't bother me if they adjusted their speed for the road conditions but they don't! They go 40 if they're on a narrow twisty b road full of blind bends and whatnot or if they're on an arrow straight bit of road without even a hint of a corner. Yes everyone has different limitations and will go at a different pace, however taking your comment about telling riders not to go faster than they feel comfortable, yes that's right but you will generaly find that if said peoples limitations are 40 mph they will be aware of the queue of people behind them and try to let them past whenever possible!
    I'm not saying these people need kicking off the road, twas a joke, I just think they need to be made aware of the effect they have on other people and be tested in some way to ensure they aren't a danger to other road users!
    Maybe have a mod1 type test that has to be taken every 5 years after passing your test with some basic manouvers, a reaction test and an eye sight test? It would take 20 mins and mean people who are unfit to drive, elderly and otherwise, would be off the roads!
    Another example of somone unfit to drive, I was up at tesco on s`hampton road yesterday and as I was leaving an old boy in a fairly new astra reversed out of a parking bay into a lamp post and then drove forward mounting a curb before driving off as if nothing had happened! Now you tell me that he will be able to react quickly enough to stop if I come round a corner while he's pulling out of his driveway! That is the kind of thing that scares me!
    Also fair point about following cars too closely but we would have had to break pretty damn hard even if we were following the H`way code to the letter and just for turning into a side road it was a bit extreme!

8. Re: They need to be banned! 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoYou
    [quote author=BMWGraeme link=1311441539/31#31 date=1311851220]In reference to the ageist comments, in my experience, and therefore in my opinion, there is no one age group worse than any other in terms of their danger to others on the road. It's just a different set of limitations. Yes, older people can drive slower (more cautiously maybe) than others in a particular speed limit, but that is a maximum limit not a compulsory speed you have to do. Why do we as bikers advise other bikers not to stray out of their comfort zone, yet get mad at four wheel drivers who effectively are doing the same thing? At any age. And yes, eyesight deteriorates with age, but that can be counteracted by giving more time for reactions and that is where 40 years of experience on the roads can be a whole load more effective than 20/20 vision. Of course it's frustrating being behind a load of cars with double whites, but thats part of sharing the tarmac with others. Live and let live.

I'm not putting all elderly people together here there are pleanty of older people who are perfectly fine, but when one persons limitations inconvenience 30+ other road users it gets silly, I'm not necissarily saying throw them off the road but they need to start taking into consideration other road users. Even if they pulled over every now and again to let the hordes of people behind past. I know its not ONLY older people and I know its not ALL old people but a majority I see ARE older people.
    It also wouldn't bother me if they adjusted their speed for the road conditions but they don't! They go 40 if they're on a narrow twisty b road full of blind bends and whatnot or if they're on an arrow straight bit of road without even a hint of a corner. Yes everyone has different limitations and will go at a different pace, however taking your comment about telling riders not to go faster than they feel comfortable, yes that's right but you will generaly find that if said peoples limitations are 40 mph they will be aware of the queue of people behind them and try to let them past whenever possible!
    I'm not saying these people need kicking off the road, twas a joke, I just think they need to be made aware of the effect they have on other people and be tested in some way to ensure they aren't a danger to other road users!
    Maybe have a mod1 type test that has to be taken every 5 years after passing your test with some basic manouvers, a reaction test and an eye sight test? It would take 20 mins and mean people who are unfit to drive, elderly and otherwise, would be off the roads!
    Another example of somone unfit to drive, I was up at tesco on s`hampton road yesterday and as I was leaving an old boy in a fairly new astra reversed out of a parking bay into a lamp post and then drove forward mounting a curb before driving off as if nothing had happened! Now you tell me that he will be able to react quickly enough to stop if I come round a corner while he's pulling out of his driveway! That is the kind of thing that scares me!
    Also fair point about following cars too closely but we would have had to break pretty damn hard even if we were following the H`way code to the letter and just for turning into a side road it was a bit extreme!
    [/quote]

I know you didn't mean ALL old people - I don't think I suggested that you did. What I am saying is that there are bad and inconsiderate drivers/riders in all age groups. I agree that in your scenario of the old man's exploits in the car park that was bad driving to say the least. But so was the young guy in a Corsa who overtook me the other week in a 30 mph limit doing maybe 60 or so just before a school crossing.

My experience I guess is just different from yours. For every one of your old guys in a carpark, I could recount 10 times the number of younger drivers I have described. I would also add that in my opinion, the older drivers are likely to more frustrating to other road users but they are also unlikely to be the ones that drive recklessly by overtaking at 60 in a 30 whilst kids are crossing the road.

I have also been related by marriage to an elderly driver who should never have been allowed on the roads in the first place, having never even taken a test. So I also do agree with eyesight tests and maybe refresher training etc etc at any age if its necessary.

9. Re: They need to be banned! 
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinb
    It's cyclists that get my goat. They are meant to be GREEN but cause more polution than my 4x4. Querues of cars behind them that then have to accelerate past them when they can.
    They are abusive to other road users, pay no tax and don't bother with stop signals/traffic lights >
    HORSES really grind my gears!(family guy) sh t where ever they want, its concidered your duty to wait/slowdown/stop for them.... and then if your lucky they might crack their face to smile! keep them on the track or behind the hounds i say!

10. Re: They need to be banned! 
    Diamond Member
    With respect, horses and cyclists were using the roads hundreds of years before the combustion engine was invented.

With regards to re-testing every 5 years - No No No more stealth taxes for the poor. >