Notices

Thread: They need to be banned!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Re: They need to be banned! 
    Ohh... that make me boil too.... Is unnessisary and inconcidorate (sorry about the spelling). The one that really get me is when you pull out to overtake and they then decide to boot it.... arrrgggghhhh.... >
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

2. Re: They need to be banned! 
    It's cyclists that get my goat. They are meant to be GREEN but cause more polution than my 4x4. Querues of cars behind them that then have to accelerate past them when they can.
    They are abusive to other road users, pay no tax and don't bother with stop signals/traffic lights >

3. Re: They need to be banned! 
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinb
    It's cyclists that get my goat. They are meant to be GREEN but cause more polution than my 4x4. Querues of cars behind them that then have to accelerate past them when they can.
    They are abusive to other road users, pay no tax and don't bother with stop signals/traffic lights >
    I must say that is a very harsh judgement on all cyclists. Most of us DO obey road signals and the highway code, and only get abusive when either cut up, driven off the road or abused by to**ers in cars.

It is a fact that the average cyclist produces around 0.4 horse power.... so our limited speed is not choice but the limit of our human bodies. Car drivers with 100+ horsepower need to realise this.

I would respectfully suggest that you try cycling on the roads before making such statements.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

4. Re: They need to be banned! 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggy
    Ithink its more there trying to save fuel rather than just being slow , near £8 a gallon i dont blame them , i know its anoying and ruins our fun , times are hard for everyone and saveing a few quid doing 10 mph less can make all the differance to someone.night or early mornings first light thats the time to wind the bike on no one about air,s normaly calm and you can ride like a nutter as plod is still asleep .
    Might I suggest a bus?! getting past a bus is easy get past 400 cars held up by one driver who is oblivious to everything arround him is not!

But being serious somthing needs to be done about old people! They're a danger to everyone on the roads! Had 3 almost pull out on me on the Sunday ride, only stopping because I started flashing/honking and had a few others trundleing along at 40 drifting arround their lane because they could barely see over the steering wheel! Jaydee and me almost ran into the back of one because they suddenly realised they were turning off at the last minute and breaked so hard an F1 driver would have been proud of the stopping distance! They don't seem to be aware of anyone else on the road and half of them are blind, IMHO you should have to retake your test at 60 and then retake it every 5-10 years after that. My Grandma has had 3 accidents and about 4 speeding tickets in the last couple of years she is genuinely dangerous, she's had to go on a "speed awareness" but no eye test or hazard perception, she's over 80 for christ sake!

5. Re: They need to be banned! 
    Plus one for that Jon, i only get angry at other road users when i'm out cycling because ive been cut up, or passed to close, or put in danger some other way.... What i would like to see is the return of the cycling proficency test, particularly for adults.... Many people who moan at me about cyclists (often not realising what they're saying mind you) are people who havent been on a bike for years! If some of them had spent some time on the road on a bike, then they might not be so quick to moan (not getting at you Kevinb, I'm generalising!). Most cyclists are also drivers or bikers anyway, so we do pay road tax, and while we're on the point, the road tax goes into general taxation so we ALL pay for the roads in some way or other! Something else that would be benificial ould be forcing new drivers to do a CBT before even being allowed to touch a car.

All that being said..... Just as the general standard of driving sucks at the moment, the general standard of cycling is simlarly poor.... And im not just talking about not signalling and jumping red lights... My big bug bear is cycling on the pavement..... Can understand young kiddies, but there are FAR too many adults riding around on pavements, or riding against the traffic, often without thinking about it. So, no, cyclists are FAR from perfect.

I got 'beeped' at in westbury sunday morning by a chap in Laguna, despite the fact all i was doing wrong was using the primary riding postion coming into the roundabout on Warminster road just past the peugeot dealer (going back toward trowbridge)... I guess he thought i wasnt entitiled to be innthe middle of the lane at a roundabout (which i am)... :-/

At the end of the day, the roads are crowded, people are only human, and all we need is a little more patience!

6. Re: They need to be banned! 
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggy
    Ithink its more there trying to save fuel rather than just being slow , near £8 a gallon i dont blame them , i know its anoying and ruins our fun , times are hard for everyone and saveing a few quid doing 10 mph less can make all the differance to someone.night or early mornings first light thats the time to wind the bike on no one about air,s normaly calm and you can ride like a nutter as plod is still asleep .
    I thought the most efficient speed for fuel consumption was around 55mph :-?

7. Re: They need to be banned! 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    [quote author=Kevinb link=1311441539/11#11 date=1311666915]It's cyclists that get my goat. They are meant to be GREEN but cause more polution than my 4x4. Querues of cars behind them that then have to accelerate past them when they can.
    I must say that is a very harsh judgement on all cyclists. Most of us DO obey road signals and the highway code, and only get abusive when either cut up, driven off the road or abused by to**ers in cars.

It is a fact that the average cyclist produces around 0.4 horse power.... so our limited speed is not choice but the limit of our human bodies. Car drivers with 100+ horsepower need to realise this.

I would respectfully suggest that you try cycling on the roads before making such statements.[/quote]

I have no interest in being on two wheels without an engine. One is because it is difficult holding a cigarette whilst cycling and two, with me being a rather large build it would look like my arse was eating the bike ;D

8. Re: They need to be banned! 
    Diamond Member
    I say we should bike roads and car roads...

9. Re: They need to be banned! 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by igbell
    I say we should bike roads and car roads...
    or make the WHOLE of england a 1 way system so you have a bike lane and a car lane! I'm liking that idea!

10. Re: They need to be banned! 
    Yep, as long as ours is 50 ft wide and theirs is 10 feet.... with sleeping policemen and lots of other similar traffic calming measures...