Notices

Thread: They need to be banned!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. They need to be banned! 
    Platinum Member
    I've just gone up the a338 and back and once more... its a good road! Anyway on my way up it the first time I get stuck behind a long line of cars all doing 40 mph! Yippeedoo! As I get the the front on the queue I'm at the roundabout at the end of the road -.-
    I turn arround and head back the other way about 3 corners down the road ... a big queue of cars going about 40 mph... sigh! Right 3rd time lucky turn arround head back down it, low and behold there's a long queue of cars all doing 40 mph!
    At which point I pull into a side road and wait until nothing has passed me for a few mins then carry on, which results in a good run finaly!
    Now I'm aware the road isn't a racetrack and not everybody wants to go quickly but this is a 60 limit road with one car doing 40 holding up a good 20-30 other cars and this happened 3 times on the trot.
    "You're on a bike, just zip past one car at a time" I hear you cry! Yes well I would if every car was so far up the other cars arse that you could barely fit a piece of paper between them much less a bike.
    Therefore I've decided that old people and people who drive slowly need to be banned or shot on sight! ;D (Disclaimer: that was a joke and should not be taken as a literal statement or as my opinion of how this huge annoyance should be solved)

2. Re: They need to be banned! 
    Ithink its more there trying to save fuel rather than just being slow , near £8 a gallon i dont blame them , i know its anoying and ruins our fun , times are hard for everyone and saveing a few quid doing 10 mph less can make all the differance to someone.night or early mornings first light thats the time to wind the bike on no one about air,s normaly calm and you can ride like a nutter as plod is still asleep .

3. Re: They need to be banned! 
    but if they were up to speed they would be overtaking you

4. Re: They need to be banned! 
    IMO, The A338 is a crap road, for just that reason, the A36 is almost as bad.

Last weekend I rode on ROSPA rideout to weston, porlock, lynmouth then across Exmoor to Taunton back up the 303 to Salisbury. 250 miles of heaven, except the rain ;D

5. Re: They need to be banned! 
    Mind you its necessary to qulify, which section of the A338 your describing. To me its crap from bournemouth to marlborough

6. Re: They need to be banned! 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YMFB
    IMO, The A338 is a crap road, for just that reason, the A36 is almost as bad.

Last weekend I rode on ROSPA rideout to weston, porlock, lynmouth then across Exmoor to Taunton back up the 303 to Salisbury. 250 miles of heaven, except the rain ;D
    Cool stuff, will have a look at it only reason I like the 338 is coz its out my front door xD and I'm talking about the bit from salisbury to M4 junction thingy roundabout not a hugely long bit of road but... meh

7. Re: They need to be banned! 
    Platinum Member
    Shefford to Wantage is the best bit, but it's over far too soon. And some 'tard in the council has seen fit to declare it all a 50mph limit! Same with the B4494, stupid 50 limits have sprung up for no good reason that I can see reason whatsoever.

I did read somewhere that 50 limit roads don't need the same legal minimum maintenance as 60 limit roads, so once again it'll be to do with penny pinching rather than anyone's safety.

I don't mind people crawling along at 40, so long as they pull over occasionally and let the mile long queue of furious motorists they've been holding up for the last hour go past.

The 40MPH muppets seem to fall into two camps, there's the self righteous old rich twats that consider anything over 40 terrifyingly dangerous, so they will sit and make sure everyone else has to do the speed they've decided is safe, and they are always correct because they have more money than you, they have friends in the council and everbody else on the road is a dangerous idiot.

The other ones don't seem to have any particular age or social level in common, but always exhibit the same idiotic driving habits. They have two main buttons in their car; Start and Stop. They push Start and proceed at 40mph for their entire journey, regardless of road conditions, hazards, urban speed limits and safety. Once they reach their destination, they press the Stop button.

These people also have no idea of lane discipline and absolutely zero awareness of anything that's going on around them. They do have some other levers and buttons in their cars, but they're not important. Sometimes lights will come on and off but they don't know why. Other road users are always honking their horns and driving erratically around them, again they don't know why and therefore assume everybody else on the road is a dangerous idiot.
    www.shinybikesyndrome.co.uk - Protection through innovation

8. Re: They need to be banned! 
    Diamond Member
    Frustrating when I'm in the van but, not an issue on the bike - hence hate driving the van and love to break free from the shackles on the bike. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

9. Re: They need to be banned! 
    They represent a challenge to get by in one piece for sure---plenty have copped it trying

50 :-? thought that was an advised minimum
    I need amusement in my sad life and it looks, very much, like you fit this requirement admirably..............begin the amusement!!!!!

10. Re: They need to be banned! 
    It's cos they can't drive properly. I can't stand anyone who doesn't take a moment to think how their driving has an impact on other road users. Tractor drivers who NEVER pull over. Caravanners who NEVER pull over. Old farts who think driving is wonderful, because the roads are so empty... in front of them (5 mile convoy behind). I'm moving to the Scottish Highlands, or Canada, or New Zealand. Anywhere where it's quiet enough to enjoy the roads... [smiley=happy.gif]
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk