Notices

Thread: Motorcycle roadcraft

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hybrid View

1. Re: Motorcycle roadcraft 
    Having read and then re-read 'Roadcraft', I recently did an intensive one-to-one course with a retired police rider. Over three consequetive days, the instruction completely transformed my riding, to the point where I feel distinctly odd if I find myself riding outside of the police Roadcraft 'system'. The course wasn't as inexpensive as others available, but entirely worthwhile.

I also got hold of a copy of Mike Waite's DVD (another retired police rider who adapted the police's 3-week comprehensive course into a 3-day essentials course), which I watched twice before my course, and can highly recommend: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...s_ohs_product_

2. Re: Motorcycle roadcraft 
    The other great book to search out is "Not the blue book" (Roadcraft is "The Blue Book&quot

It's basically written to explain how to ride to the system, as the blue book itself can be quite dry at first. I would also back up everything that Ducatista says about getting tuition - as roadcraft is much easier to explain when someone can use examples to help.

3. Re: Motorcycle roadcraft 
    Diamond Member
    Recommend IAM.

4. Re: Motorcycle roadcraft 
    I am at present an associate with ROSPA (not tested) I passed the IAM test in 2006. I have read the Roadcraft book and not the blue book, for me the former is better presented and easier to use. It is also reccomended by ROSPA and was by the IAM (it may still be)

I have not regretted either and any advanced training is better than none, but IMO the training I am getting from Rospa is streets ahead of that I got from the IAM.

It is also wholly dependant upon your trainer.

I picked the IAM first as at the time they were active in my area. ROSPA in Wilts is by http://northwiltsroadar.co.uk/ but even though Im nr Salisbury I meet my observer about half way.

Buying the book is a good start but you will learn so much more by being observed.

Finally, although some may think IAM/ROSPA is a haven for ex plod spoiling your riding, get real, these people are almost without exception better riders. Obviously as with all walks of life there are knobs and if you get an observer who you cant get on with, speak up ask for another.

5. Re: Motorcycle roadcraft 
    One other point is that the money is very well spent and incredible VFM, you should also get an insurance discount. :-)

6. Re: Motorcycle roadcraft 
    Platinum Member
    Just thought I'd mention that the North Wilts Rospa group is also a car group.
    If any motorcycle members want to do the car training then it doesn't cost much.
    You don't have to pay to join as you're already a member.
    You get the roadcraft car book for free.
    You don't have to make a contribution to your observer as they come in your car so it's one car as opposed to two bikes.
    You effectively get the car training and book for free, all you have to pay is £48 for the test.