Notices

Thread: Future Ride-Outs !

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Future Ride-Outs ! 
    Diamond Member
    Dear Sue,

As the culprit who started the thread I feel I ought to reiterate the point I was making and assure you that I was in no way unhappy with anybody in the group on any bike.

I’m far from being the quickest or most able rider in the group, and it was only two years ago that I was a new wobbler and really grateful of both the sensible pace and the great marker system.

I also remember the “surprises” I got when a big bike flew by me when I wasn’t expecting it (and as a newbie, it’s not often you are expecting it, as 99% of your focus is on what’s happening in front of you).

I was simply looking for a way of making our bigger ride-outs more fun for everybody involved, both the ones that like to press on down A roads, the ones that like to cruise on the lanes and all of us who like a natter at the other end.

It’s absolutely brilliant that we get new people in the club and as an ardent WB recruiter I’m really pleased when they join us on ride outs.

Part of what I was looking to do was to organise what’s happened before and what happened at the weekend, a split up of the group (OK, mainly so the buggers won’t go without me whilst I’m messing about in the car park) :-/

------

At the other end of the spectrum, I didn’t start this thread for anybody to knock other peoples riding, I’ve seen equally suspect overtakes from slower, as well as quicker riders - being honest, I’ve done them myself and put it down to my inexperience and youthful enthusiasm, and I hope I learn from them.
    My dear Dad used to say “you get old motorcyclists and bold motorcyclists, but you don’t get old, bold motorcyclists” and I keep these words in mind (and he still reads the forum sometimes)

Nelly, good point about “The Law” I’ve often suspected a tall guy on a Daytona was an undercover FBI type, I remember in Wales he was trying to get me to go over 60 so he could pounce - but I resisted 8-)

Gerry

2. Re: Future Ride-Outs ! 
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry
    Dear Sue,

As the culprit who started the thread I feel I ought to reiterate the point I was making and assure you that I was in no way unhappy with anybody in the group on any bike.

I’m far from being the quickest or most able rider in the group, and it was only two years ago that I was a new wobbler and really grateful of both the sensible pace and the great marker system.

I also remember the “surprises” I got when a big bike flew by me when I wasn’t expecting it (and as a newbie, it’s not often you are expecting it, as 99% of your focus is on what’s happening in front of you).

I was simply looking for a way of making our bigger ride-outs more fun for everybody involved, both the ones that like to press on down A roads, the ones that like to cruise on the lanes and all of us who like a natter at the other end.

It’s absolutely brilliant that we get new people in the club and as an ardent WB recruiter I’m really pleased when they join us on ride outs.

Part of what I was looking to do was to organise what’s happened before and what happened at the weekend, a split up of the group (OK, mainly so the buggers won’t go without me whilst I’m messing about in the car park) :-/

------

At the other end of the spectrum, I didn’t start this thread for anybody to knock other peoples riding, I’ve seen equally suspect overtakes from slower, as well as quicker riders - being honest, I’ve done them myself and put it down to my inexperience and youthful enthusiasm, and I hope I learn from them.
    My dear Dad used to say “you get old motorcyclists and bold motorcyclists, but you don’t get old, bold motorcyclists” and I keep these words in mind (and he still reads the forum sometimes)

Nelly, good point about “The Law” I’ve often suspected a tall guy on a Daytona was an undercover FBI type, I remember in Wales he was trying to get me to go over 60 so he could pounce - but I resisted 8-)

Gerry
    No harm done at all G, it's good to have a chat about these things and try to find solutions and listen to others peoples PoV. We all love our bikes, big or small, fast or slow, makes no difference!

Sue - see you soon!

Roxy x
    ps..G you need to stop 'faffing' in the car park then ;D, I said I was leaving and told Rosie & Graeme...keep a closer eye on the Ars6 and you wont get left behind !!! xxx

3. Re: Future Ride-Outs ! 
    2p worth

If you are on a club rideout it should be taken as read that you are going to behave in a responsible manner with due regard to 'etiquette' when riding within the group. It is a rideout not a race.

If you are joining in with expectations to ride like a wannabe Rossi and want to show off your 'expertise with wrist' I think the majority will confirm that you are indeed a total wanker :-*
    I need amusement in my sad life and it looks, very much, like you fit this requirement admirably..............begin the amusement!!!!!

4. Re: Future Ride-Outs ! 
    Diamond Member
    Col, Thank you for your imput, I'm sure that will slow down them darn speeders :-/

K... I will heed your words and keep a very close eye on your Ars6 on future ride-outs

G

5. Re: Future Ride-Outs ! 
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry
    K... I will heed your words and keep a very close eye on your Ars6 on future ride-outs

G
    ;D ;D Nutter! ;D ;D

6. Re: Future Ride-Outs ! 
    Although I couldn't make Sunday, when I can make rideouts I go because of the social side to the whole day as well as the riding. The current system works well and 'official' rideouts should continue in this way in my opinion. Anyone who wants to ride a different route or different pace, shouldn't go and should organise something on their own and if they are 'hooning' not advertise that they are part of WB.

I think the leaders / back markers do an excellent job and I know I can enjoy a ride out with everyone, be safe and (generally speaking!) not get lost!! I sign up to that if I join a WB rideout and am happy with that - some rides are faster than others, some routes are less preferable to others but that is what they have chosen for the day and with the marker system it works out fine. I would hate to be part of a club whereby people very quickly forget what's it like to be new to group riding and to build confidence and to hence put off newbies from joining in.

On another note, when do we stop calling 'newbies' newbies??!! :-/ There is obviously the 'core' group of riders who have been with the club a long time but we must ensure we avoid any separations I think - after all, we are just all club members going for a ride together

7. Re: Future Ride-Outs ! 
    Quote Originally Posted by jonperry64
    As a newbie I'm probably not really qualified to post on this but here's my two penneth anyway. My view is if it aint broke don't fix it. It sounds as if the current system has worked well for some time and that Sunday's numbers were a bit of a freak event. If similar numbers are reached on the next couple of ride outs maybe something does need to change, if not, maybe this is a bit of a storm in a teacup? That was my first ride out and from my perspective it was great. I read the rideout 'rules' before I went, and Rosie reiterated the point about looking out for faster riders and letting them pass. It was a good lesson in blindspots for me, after I nearly moved into the path of one of the said fast overtaking bikes - I only did it once and made bloody sure I kept a good check in my mirrors thereafter. Maybe I overcompensated a bit because at times it felt like I was spending more time looking behind me than in front! I really enjoyed being part of a big group. I also valued being behind more experienced riders so I could watch the lines they took and so on. Keeping things as they are but allowing faster riders to form a splinter group having first informed the lead rider sounds like a good compromise to me.
    Always good to hear what the newbies think and to see it from your PoV.. so type away! Glad you enjoyed it and see you again soon!

Roxy

8. Re: Future Ride-Outs ! 
    OK this will be the third and final attempt at this post, so far the previous two have ended up being 'war and peace specials' lol.

Official ride outs have to cater for all members that attend, so you shouldn't really be turning up with the idea you will be spending the day hooning around the countryside. Fast riders need to adjust their style to take into account that there are less experienced / condfident riders in the group, who in turn need to take into account there are faster riders in the group. When overtaking a slower rider, you should always assume they have not seen you, rather than just hoon past and hope they have.

The official ride outs are once a month, for one day, this leaves plenty of other days free to organise a faster or slower paced ride out if that is what you want to do. We provide the members with a ride out section so they can organise their own rides.

I don't post the route for rides I lead for one main reason, this is an open forum, anyone can read it, do you really want someone like our good friend PC Williamson know exactly what time we are leaving and the exact route we are taking? He'd pack a spare ruler in case he wore the first one out checking all the plates are spot on legal? :-?

I work a route out on google maps, then follow it in google earth to make sure the roads look suitable, possible petrol / toilet breaks. I try to aim for at least 60 miles or an hour riding between stops (which ever comes first).

If people want to leave early, it doesn't take much to lift an arm and wave to let others know that you are leaving the group and taking a different turning so that others don't follow you. Stopping 20 mins before the end means that everyone who is going back to the end gets an extra 30 - 60 min delay, with another 30 - 60 mins delay at the end as they say good bye to everyone else that finished, along with a short 20 min ride that you really don't 'get into' before it ends.

Each ride leader will have a different pace, as first and foremost they have to ride within their comfort zone. If a ride is led by someone who rides a slower pace than you like, don't go. If no ride leader rides at a pace you are happy with, then by all means organise a ride out yourself. Although I would strongly advise against putting up a post on an open forum saying that you are organising a 'race pace' ride out, especially if you plan to post the route you intend to take. Personally if I saw that type of thread I would seriously consider removing it, we have a good reputation with the police at the moment, I would like to keep it that way, unless the idea of having an unmarked car waiting around the corner for us to go past appeals to you of course.
    Don't get confused between my personality and my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are...

9. Re: Future Ride-Outs ! 
    Quote Originally Posted by roxychick
    [quote author=jonperry64 link=1313426284/19#19 date=1313486742]As a newbie I'm probably not really qualified to post on this but here's my two penneth anyway. My view is if it aint broke don't fix it. It sounds as if the current system has worked well for some time and that Sunday's numbers were a bit of a freak event. If similar numbers are reached on the next couple of ride outs maybe something does need to change, if not, maybe this is a bit of a storm in a teacup? That was my first ride out and from my perspective it was great. I read the rideout 'rules' before I went, and Rosie reiterated the point about looking out for faster riders and letting them pass. It was a good lesson in blindspots for me, after I nearly moved into the path of one of the said fast overtaking bikes - I only did it once and made bloody sure I kept a good check in my mirrors thereafter. Maybe I overcompensated a bit because at times it felt like I was spending more time looking behind me than in front! I really enjoyed being part of a big group. I also valued being behind more experienced riders so I could watch the lines they took and so on. Keeping things as they are but allowing faster riders to form a splinter group having first informed the lead rider sounds like a good compromise to me.
    Always good to hear what the newbies think and to see it from your PoV.. so type away! Glad you enjoyed it and see you again soon!

Roxy [/quote]

Ditto that [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    "the empty can rattles the most!"

https://www.facebook.com/neil.hudd

10. Re: Future Ride-Outs ! 
    Quote Originally Posted by swarwick
    OK this will be the third and final attempt at this post, so far the previous two have ended up being 'war and peace specials' lol.

Official ride outs have to cater for all members that attend, so you shouldn't really be turning up with the idea you will be spending the day hooning around the countryside. Fast riders need to adjust their style to take into account that there are less experienced / condfident riders in the group, who in turn need to take into account there are faster riders in the group. When overtaking a slower rider, you should always assume they have not seen you, rather than just hoon past and hope they have.

The official ride outs are once a month, for one day, this leaves plenty of other days free to organise a faster or slower paced ride out if that is what you want to do. We provide the members with a ride out section so they can organise their own rides.

I don't post the route for rides I lead for one main reason, this is an open forum, anyone can read it, do you really want someone like our good friend PC Williamson know exactly what time we are leaving and the exact route we are taking? He'd pack a spare ruler in case he wore the first one out checking all the plates are spot on legal? :-?

I work a route out on google maps, then follow it in google earth to make sure the roads look suitable, possible petrol / toilet breaks. I try to aim for at least 60 miles or an hour riding between stops (which ever comes first).

If people want to leave early, it doesn't take much to lift an arm and wave to let others know that you are leaving the group and taking a different turning so that others don't follow you. Stopping 20 mins before the end means that everyone who is going back to the end gets an extra 30 - 60 min delay, with another 30 - 60 mins delay at the end as they say good bye to everyone else that finished, along with a short 20 min ride that you really don't 'get into' before it ends.

Each ride leader will have a different pace, as first and foremost they have to ride within their comfort zone. If a ride is led by someone who rides a slower pace than you like, don't go. If no ride leader rides at a pace you are happy with, then by all means organise a ride out yourself. Although I would strongly advise against putting up a post on an open forum saying that you are organising a 'race pace' ride out, especially if you plan to post the route you intend to take. Personally if I saw that type of thread I would seriously consider removing it, we have a good reputation with the police at the moment, I would like to keep it that way, unless the idea of having an unmarked car waiting around the corner for us to go past appeals to you of course.
    +1