Notices

Thread: advice for a newbie off roader???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. advice for a newbie off roader??? 
    hey guys,

I'm looking to invest in an off roader in the next few months. never done off roading before but all i keep hearing is about how much it improves your riding etc... how much fun it is and the fact you can go out in any weather and enjoy yourself.

so, seeing as i know absolutely nothing about off roading or off road bikes i need to start with the basics, namely what bike i need, what kit, etc...

any advice greatly appriciated

2. Re: advice for a newbie off roader??? 
    cue JD

3. Re: advice for a newbie off roader??? 
    Quite a few on here have off road bikes and use them in different ways from gentle green laneing to tearing up & down hillsides. Would also depend on your height/inside leg/budget.

Plenty of advise on here, just listen to it all then make your own decisions on what you want to do/spend etc.

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

4. Re: advice for a newbie off roader??? 
    175-250cc is probably a good starting point. Weight is an important factor as you will be picking it up regularly particularly when its wet. light weight gloves, boots with a tread, a helmet you can breathe heavily in. Spare plug, chain link, inner tube & some tools
    NB totally different technique than road riding - bike leans you stay more upright!!

Don't ride on you own to start with

enjoy

5. Re: advice for a newbie off roader??? 
    I always carry a spare clutch lever and gear lever as there is a chance if you come off they might break then your stuck and you probably be in the middle of nowhere when it happens ive had to mend 2 punctures on the Salisbury plains no fun in the rain or wind.
    Oh and you will need maps OS Landranger are the best.
    My first trail bike was a KMX200 2stroke good bike but sold that and got a 4 stroke lot better especially with the use of the engine braking and your slip sliding away down a muddy steep slope or hill.

I never go out on my own least one other, if you come off and bust arm or leg and the chances are you wont get a mobile signal you could be there for hours otherwise,and believe me dont count on Ramblers to help you either..

Trevisio,North Spain took 3 hrs to get down 2000ft used about carb of petrol but i lost about 2ltrs of sweat
    going down

6. Re: advice for a newbie off roader??? 
    Diamond Member
    250 Would be a good bike to start on, Yammy WR's are good!

If you have not done any before buy yourself something not to expensive as you will fall off and break it lol.

Dont ride without appropriate safety gear (lived and learned), Boots, body armour, gloves, helmet etc,

Also don't spend lots of nice new shiny kit to ware as it will get muddy and ruined on your first time out haha

Deffo worth doing though can be real good fun we have some brilliant times through the winter! good luck!

7. Re: advice for a newbie off roader??? 
    Ebay's probably a good place to pick up riding gear from, or raid the cheap section at GW. Buying a bike from Ebay's probably a bit risky, there's an awful lot of total crap on there. Try and find a copy of TBM (Trail Bike & Enduro Mag) in a newsagents, they have a classified ads section near the back that has lots of good stuff, though it would help to ask someone who knows dirt bikes before choosing one...
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

8. Re: advice for a newbie off roader??? 
    wow theres a lot more to think about than i initially thought!

think ill keep my eyes peeled and start trawling ebay for kit and wait for the right bike to crop up. is a 2 stroke the way forward or jump straight on a 4?

and that hill is MASSIVE! dont think ill be attempting anything like that for a while but im sure ill enjoy chucking it around the plains

9. Re: advice for a newbie off roader??? 
    4 strokes are generally more docile whilst 2 strokes lighter and more powerful but less tractable. For a beginner a 4 stroke is easier

10. Re: advice for a newbie off roader??? 
    I've recently started off roading myself...got a good deal on an old yamaha 250cc bike, and have bought kit from George whites bargain basement and eBay. Loving it so far, so completely different to road riding but loads of fun!
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers