Notices

Thread: Breaking the bike in 250r Ninja! issue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Breaking the bike in 250r Ninja! issue 
    Hi all

Today I have been out on the bike but whats became apparent is I cannot stick to the manual and do the 4000rpm the manual wants me to do for 100 miles then after do 6000rpm for 600 miles!

I cannot even get to 60mph as it goes over 7000rpm! So, I havent been able to do the 4000rpm for majority of my journey today. I am concerned in case this will damage the bike. On adverage I am doing about 5000rpm...

Any help, please?

Thanks

Maz

2. Re: Breaking the bike in 250r Ninja! issue 
    I shouldn't concern yourself too much with arbitrary running-in speeds to be honest Maz, modern engines don't really need it (certainly to nothing like the extent that they did in the past). Don't really thrash it, but let it rev a bit more. It may feel a bit tight and reluctant when it gets higher in the rev range, that's its way of saying "this is enough for now" but being brisk through the revs and up and down the gearbox plenty is the best way to break them in, give it some big throttle for short periods, don't labour the engine by trying to pull a high gear at low revs. The worst thing that you can do to them is run them in too gently, all you'll ultimately end up with is less power and more oil consumption if you do that.

Have fun, once it's past 600 miles and the first service you don't need to worry about anything
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

3. Re: Breaking the bike in 250r Ninja! issue 
    Thanks Scotty!

I think these miles will be gone in a matter of a month....

30 miles pratically today!

Thanks again

4. Re: Breaking the bike in 250r Ninja! issue 
    Once we get you on some wb rides you'll easily do 100+ in a day, 600 will be over before you know it
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

5. Re: Breaking the bike in 250r Ninja! issue 
    yeah 600miles will be over in no time

6. Re: Breaking the bike in 250r Ninja! issue 
    over revving is ok,labouring the engine is the worst thing to do

7. Re: Breaking the bike in 250r Ninja! issue 
    IMO, the key to running in is not to load the engine heavily. It is best to gently accelerate and spin the engine up in a lower gear rather than make it work hard in a higher gear. You shouln't go round read lining the engine, but don't need to be too concerned about over revving.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

8. Re: Breaking the bike in 250r Ninja! issue 
    Great thanks!

Just put some oil in god! I must have look like a right idiot! I spent a tenner on 10W/40 when my partner uses the same in her car! ;D

So I ride past halfords three time because I didnt know where it was! Was quite funny...

9. Re: Breaking the bike in 250r Ninja! issue 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maz
    Great thanks!

Just put some oil in god! I must have look like a right idiot! I spent a tenner on 10W/40 when my partner uses the same in her car! ;D

So I ride past halfords three time because I didnt know where it was! Was quite funny...
    Maz - DON'T put car 10w40 oil in your bike, although in theory they are the same oil there are many differences & it might not do it any good...

Incident on here a few months back, somebody used car oil in there Kawawowiwaki and the clutch stuck together.

10. Re: Breaking the bike in 250r Ninja! issue 
    Quote Originally Posted by Maz
    Hi all

Today I have been out on the bike but whats became apparent is I cannot stick to the manual and do the 4000rpm the manual wants me to do for 100 miles then after do 6000rpm for 600 miles!

I cannot even get to 60mph as it goes over 7000rpm! So, I havent been able to do the 4000rpm for majority of my journey today. I am concerned in case this will damage the bike. On adverage I am doing about 5000rpm...

Any help, please?

Thanks

Maz
    You can change up to 2nd gear you know lol ;D
    At 7000rpm im doing over a 100mph by then