Notices

Thread: 25th sept demonstrations

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Re: 25th sept demonstrations 
    Platinum Member
    Remember the Euro Demo's about 15 years ago, they got the 100bhp limit thrown out along with other anti bike polices

2. Re: 25th sept demonstrations 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FJ_Biker
    Remember the Euro Demo's about 15 years ago, they got the 100bhp limit thrown out along with other anti bike polices
    When I lived in Scotland I attended all the big anti-poll tax demos. Prior to setting off for a biggen in Glasgow, I met a guy in my local pub who advised me that I was wasting my time and nothing would change. I never saw him again but, I retorted, if the will and numbers are there, public opinion can force any government to change direction. Make no mistake, ordinary people taking to the streets brought about the demise of the unfair tax and for me the icing on the cake was the fall of Mrs Thatcher. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

3. Re: 25th sept demonstrations 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by monday21
    [quote author=FJ_Biker link=1315421983/20#20 date=1315672912]Remember the Euro Demo's about 15 years ago, they got the 100bhp limit thrown out along with other anti bike polices
    When I lived in Scotland I attended all the big anti-poll tax demos. Prior to setting off for a biggen in Glasgow, I met a guy in my local pub who advised me that I was wasting my time and nothing would change. I never saw him again but, I retorted, if the will and numbers are there, public opinion can force any government to change direction. Make no mistake, ordinary people taking to the streets brought about the demise of the unfair tax and for me the icing on the cake was the fall of Mrs Thatcher. [smiley=thumbsup.gif][/quote]

Well said, Redken.
    We can only do what we can do, a show of numbers should prove our discontent.

4. Re: 25th sept demonstrations 
    Diamond Member
    470four, I have just finished reading the EU ant-biking proposals in more depth. In my view, the draft bill relating to the proposed ban on motorcycles over 7 years old entering urban areas blatantly discriminates against Bikers because it does not apply to other vehicles. I’m certainly no legal eagle but, this part alone could be open to a legal challenge? I really hope that these proposals are kicked in to the long grass at the next EU deliberation in October.
    Hitherto, Biking clubs and organizations freely decided on the route of a group ride but, in my opinion that right could be under serious threat. Please Correct me if I am wrong in my interpretation - if this particular proposal passes every hurdle and comes to fruition, organisers of rides will either have to pick a route avoiding designated urban areas or ban owners of bikes over 7 years old from participating?

5. Re: 25th sept demonstrations 
    Platinum Member
    Cant we sign a petition or something :

6. Re: 25th sept demonstrations 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline
    Caz, if you type in MAG there is info on their website on the campaign. I am writing to my MEP - nothing ventured nothing gained as they say.

7. Re: 25th sept demonstrations 
    Platinum Member
    Caz - if you are not happy about it then join us on the rideout, Im sure there will be other options explained to us at the time - if you can afford time and fuel for jollys down to the coast for fish&chips & icecream then Im sure we can spend our time and fuel doing something a little more meaningful

A petition would be just another bit of paper sat on their desks, Im sure MAG would have us do something else if it got a better result!

8. Re: 25th sept demonstrations 
    There is a goverment consutation on this. If you go here you can fill it in.

http://assets.dft.gov.uk/consultatio...nsultation.pdf

There is a petition, but it is IMO poorly drafted.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

9. Re: 25th sept demonstrations 
    'one lane' ---:-?
    I need amusement in my sad life and it looks, very much, like you fit this requirement admirably..............begin the amusement!!!!!

10. Re: 25th sept demonstrations 
    Quote Originally Posted by monday21
    470four, I have just finished reading the EU ant-biking proposals in more depth. In my view, the draft bill relating to the proposed ban on motorcycles over 7 years old entering urban areas blatantly discriminates against Bikers because it does not apply to other vehicles. I’m certainly no legal eagle but, this part alone could be open to a legal challenge? I really hope that these proposals are kicked in to the long grass at the next EU deliberation in October.
    Hitherto, Biking clubs and organizations freely decided on the route of a group ride but, in my opinion that right could be under serious threat. Please Correct me if I am wrong in my interpretation - if this particular proposal passes every hurdle and comes to fruition, organisers of rides will either have to pick a route avoiding designated urban areas or ban owners of bikes over 7 years old from participating?
    Ken,

Can you post a link to this. Have been hunting for the original proposals for ages and cannot find them.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"